91' Accord - Won't start

91' Accord won't start, was driving fine then all of a sudden the engine just died. Check for spark and it was strong, I wasn't hearing the usual fuel pump buzz you hear when you turn the ignition so my guess is a dead fuel pump. My question it "what's the easiest way to check for fuel pressure?". If it's not that, does anyone have a suggestion as to what to check for next?

Thanx in advance,

Norbert

Reply to
Norbert

============================

You said you were driving it when it died? Have you replaced the ignition switch yet. Honda recalled about a billion of them . . . . Do a google search for honda ignition switch recall. It could also be the Main relay, but that never gives trouble while the car is moving.

If it failed to start in the morning, there's a couple of other things it could be, but that's not what you asked about. Since there's spark, your Timing belt is intact, although it may have jumped a few teeth. Knowing your mileage and service history would be a great help . .

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Hey Curly,

Yeah I've read about the Main Relay just underneath the left side of the dash, I"ll check that first since it's the easiest thing to do. I did however neglect to tell you that about an hour or so before the car died on me I had to replace the cap & rotor. It was arcing by the ignition cap and wouldn't start, I replaced that and it fired right up no problem. Then when I was driving it for about 45min. that's when it suddenly died. I re-checked the cap & rotor again to make sure it was on properly and it was on correctly.

I really hope it's not the fuel pump since I hear the tank needs to be removed to get to it, why can't car makers simply put it on the outside of the tank where it's accessible, go figure. This car was given to me as a winter beater and I really don't want to spend too much on it, it has about

300,000+ km. on it and had been fairly reliable since I got it a year ago.

Any other suggestions?

Thanx again,

Norbert

just died. Check for spark and it was strong, I wasn't hearing the usual fuel pump buzz you hear when you turn the ignition so my guess is a dead fuel pump. My question it "what's the easiest way to check for fuel pressure?". If it's not that, does anyone have a suggestion as to what to

switch yet. Honda recalled about a billion of them . . . . Do a google search for honda ignition switch recall. It could also be the Main relay, but that never gives trouble while the car is moving. If it failed to start in the morning, there's a couple of other things it could be, but that's not what you asked about. Since there's spark, your Timing belt is intact, although it may have jumped a few teeth. Knowing your mileage and service history would be a great help . .

Reply to
Norbert

"Norbert" wrote in news:HfNbf.6589$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Some Hondas,you have to remove the back seat to access the fuel pump,and don't have to drop the tank.

Also,resoldering the main relay eliminates it as a problem,costs little except some time. Just "inspecting" it will not do any good.amd as long as you have it out;resolder it.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Norbert" wrote in news:U9Jbf.6476$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

It might not be the Main Relay, but it's certainly worth checking it PROPERLY.

TeGGeR®

They did. It's a nightmare to prime these pumps when you run the tank dry.

Reply to
Burt S.