Plastic Bag vs Exhaust

Hi all,

A neighbor got a large black plastic trash bag stuck all over the bottom of her converters and several feet of (stainless) exhaust pipe... it really covered evenly and adhered extremely well. We pulled off all we could, but a lot of plastic still remains.

Any suggestions or ideas on cleaning, other than just letting the remains burn off would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

I had a shopping bag get caught on an exhaust pipe once. I just scraped off what I could and let the rest burn off. Could try a razor blade scraper to get more off. It won't hurt the convertor heat shields and nobody is going to see any scratches under there.

Reply to
Brent P

This identical question was asked of the "Click and Clack" newspaper column/radio show mechanics/entertainers/whatever-they-are guys several years ago. Their answer was to just let it burn off. Sorry this is not what you wanted to hear. In all honestly, how else could you expect it to come off?

Reply to
Kruse

After it carbonizes a bit, if the residue still smells try a wire brush as long as its stainless pipe and not some coating you wouldn't want to scrape.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp