Police Interceptor and turn signal flasher

Hell everyone; I am in the land of Not Fun. I have an old 1995 Ford Crown Victoria, with the Police Interceptor package. Is there any chance that the outfit that redid the electricals hid the turn signal flasher in a 'standard' place?

I have no turn signals and am staring at the prospect of paying a mechanic's time (at Can$64/hour) to trace wires to find the turn signal flasher. To add insult to injury, I am not even sure if the flasher is bad (could be the magic wand), but I need to replace the flasher to further troubleshoot the problem.

On a related note, where is the hazard flasher? It works just fine, and the friendly automotive technician believes that the turn signal flasher is probably next to it. I can hear it click, but will have to disassemble more of my under-dash to get at where I think it is located.

The only thing I fear is my airbag, and miscellaneous bits that won't go back together after I take them apart. It could be worse, I am still allowed to indicate my intentions with hand signals.

Oh, for a more complete diagnostic: moving the turnsignal wand off center does nothing. The intrument cluster indicator lights do not light up, I hear no aural confirmation of the signal flasher, and the corner lights do not illuminate. The brake lights work, so do the hazard lights.

Thanks, in advance, for any help that you can give me

Sincerely; Richard Bell

Reply to
Richard Bell

Call the police garage and ask one of their mechanics? Or the private mechanics that work on them.

Call the local Ford dealer service department and ask them? Ford sells (or did) the Crown Vic that way, it -must- be documented somewhere.

Just some thoughts.

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

Reply to
Mike Patterson

If the 95 CV uses the same turning wand control thingee (what is the proper term?) as other Ford cars of that era, that's possibly the problem. I read a post somewhere that it was a problematic part, and both my 95 Cougar and my ex-GF's 97 TBird had intermittent issues where the turn signal wouldn't work. On my old cat, jiggling the wand definitely affected it's performance...

Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

troubleshoot

I bet the car had the police flashers ( sequential?)which were removed before it went to auction, they are a police only item !

the flasher should be in the fuse box, or easily reached under the dash, do you have the owners manual???

Reply to
Punch

If the 4 ways work, turn them on & follow your ear to the flasher. The turn sig flasher will probably be close by. Good luck.

Reply to
PA-ter

The flasher is not where my owners' manual says it should be. There are not even wires to the fuse block for the flasher contacts. This tells me that if someone could tell me what the colour code for the flasher wiring is, I would find it in a jiffy.

The vehicle was much modified for police work. To facilitate stake-outs, at night, the dome light does not come on when you open a door, and there is a toggle switch for the DRL's. There are extra fuse boxes under the hood, and a non-functioning engine time counter (a really cool thing, if it still worked) Of course, it uses performance suspension and steering bits, and has coolers for the oil and tranny. I consider the prospect of being horribly burned, instead of killed, if someone rear-ends me with a 70mph differential to be a desireable feature, not a bug.

The major problem with not having a garage, in a northern clime, is that working on your car is really unpleasant. But I may yet suffer the elements to find the hazard flasher, by ear, as other sources have also suggested that it is likely next to the hazard flasher (which I have come tantalizingly close to locating, without actually finding).

Reply to
Richard Bell