Grabbing and ginding ABS when wet

We been having a lot of rain and when the car sits for a few hours or longer the brakes make a grinding noise and they tend to grab . Is this normal? This will go away after a few stops. I have a 2001 Buick Century with 18k. Thank you

Reply to
Joseph A. Zupko

Its amazing how quick the rotors will get a light surface coat of rust on them. It sounds like this is what is happening to you and normally this isn't a problem. Since we can't see/hear it from here I would have a trusted mechanic check it out to be sure.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

"Joseph A. Zupko" wrote

Pretty normal. The rear brakes on these cars tend to do that when you have high humidity conditions. You can make it a little better by taking the drums off and cleaning all the brake dust out.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Reply to
Joseph A. Zupko

"Joseph A. Zupko" wrote

Then I guess you have a live one. We get plenty of complaints about grabbing and grinding noises on this line of vehicle (and minivans, which use the same style of rear brakes) and it's always the rear drum brakes.

If you have grinding noises from the front, you probably have more serious problems.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Reply to
Mike Walsh

Reply to
Joseph A. Zupko

"Joseph A. Zupko" wrote

Yeah, you already mentioned that , and I already responded to it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Why you getting loud sucka! I pitty da fool.

Reply to
Erik

Could it be the ABS brakes turning on a slipper surface? Other than that it's most likely rust on the rotors as others have already desribed. It should disappear within a few minutes as the rust goes away after you press the brakes a few times.

--Viktor

Reply to
electricked