Possible to Improvise Rings and Head Gasket?

Earlier this month, while doing smog-check maintenance, noticed that the oil filler cap on my '89 Daihatsu Charade pops up and almost falls out when I rev the engine from idle to 1500 rpm. Lots of smoke and oil spray.

Ok, so it's time for an overhaul. Not an insurmountable problem. I've done a number of them. But this time something is different. I can't seem to find the parts. Local dealers say they can't even order the parts. Best I've turned up on-line is one dealer that can supply an oil pan gasket and another that can supply a head gasket. No one lists the rings.

Of course, I'll keep looking for the proper parts, but as a back-up plan, I was wondering . . .

Rings are rings, right? If I can identify another car that has the same bore diameter (or slightly larger bore and file the ring ends to fit) and same ring thickness, rings for that car should work. Am I overlooking something?

And what about improvising a head gasket. Is it at all possible to cut one from sheet stock? What material would be best? McMaster Carr has an impresive looking carbon fiber gasket material with stainless steel insert. Or would soft copper be better?

Or maybe one of you can just recommend a parts dealer who can handle hard-to-find parts. That would work too.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Reply to
Blake

Just sticking in new rings and honing the cylinders might buy you some time on the engine, if the cylinders don't really need a rebore (badly, anyway).

The head gasket may be more of a sticking point. If I were to make one myself, I'd probably go for soft copper sheet of about the right thickness. I'm known to try some wacky solutions, but hey, its all fun.

Maybe the way to do this is look at the later daihatsu offerings and see if one of the newer engines is basically the same as your older one.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Which engine? The 1.0 or the 1.3?

Rock Auto shows gaskets for the 1.0. BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0322833

Reply to
Steve W.

Mine is the 1.0L engine, so at least I can get a head gasket. $22 + $13 shipping makes me cringe, but . . .

Thanks for the pointer.

Reply to
Blake

Thanks Bob,

I gather you couldn't find the rings either. At least as far as I could tell, none of these links leads to them.

The second link seems typical of what frustrates me on the web these days. It seems to be a big data base full of part numbers and no parts. I've spent hours Googling for Daihatsu parts, and 99% + of the hits have no Daihatsu parts whatsoever. The remaining 1% may have an oil filter or a spark plug, but not much more.

Oh well.

- Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Reply to
Blake

The problem seems to be that Daihatsu pulled out of North America about 15 years ago, so the used parts just aren't there. Maybe mail order parts dealers in the UK might be an option though.

Thanks!

Reply to
Blake

The only thing worse than owning an orphaned car is owning an orphaned car that's a POS.

Reply to
Steve Austin

Yes, UK was what I was thinking. Should have said so!

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

I never hear anyone complaining about owning a Packard, Duesenberg, Cord, Auburn, Hudson, Studebaker, Plymouth, Oldsmobile, DeSoto, MG (OK, MG owners complain but they're usually just complaining about Lucas electricals)....

Therein lies the rub. ;-)

Reply to
Steve

Actually I used to own a '56 Studebaker Golden Hawk. I *did* complain about that car because it was a Studebaker body with a Packard engine and transmission. That combo was unique to that one year and model. It was fun when running, but whoo, better hope you don't break any "56J only" parts.

It was, I assume, quite a bit more entertaining to drive than a Daihatsu however.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel