Power Steering Return Line Leak 1998 Windstar

We had a new FQR (Ford Quality Remanufactured Engine) 3.8 engine put in our

1998 Windstar two years ago.

We recently had a problem with the power steering and found that when the engine was replaced the power steering lines were not put back in their holder next to the intake manifold. One of the two lines (return line) was touching the frame and it took two years for it to wear a hole in the metal line.

I took it back to the dealer that replaced the engine and two of his Technicians said the lines were not supposed to go through the holder and he did not feel responsible for the problem. The dealer quoted a price of $200 plus to make the repair with a new line.

If I cut the line into and use fuel line or power steering rubber hose to slip over the metal line and a couple of clamps, it looks like that may take care of the problem. Since it is the return line it should not have an excessive amount of pressure.

Has anyone used this solution to repair the power steering return line and did it work and how long?

Thanks for any help in advance!

PEB

Reply to
The Bowmans

I had my 91 Escort done this way about 3 years ago by my local garage. They used about an 8" length of hose and 4 gear clamps each side of the metal line break. I've had no problems whatsoever.

Reply to
Mike

Not familiar with the 98 Winstar, but I did this to a 1970 cougar 10 years ago and still holding up. I wouldn't expect you to have any problem with this either. I believe I used fuel line, but it may have been a piece of line left over that came with the transmission cooler. Pretty sure it was fuel line though...

bb

Reply to
bobby