Question on interference engine failure, does this sound right?

Ok, I am playing the devil's advocate here, but....

In order to tell if the engine has damage, they must do one simple test, pour oil into the cylinders. If the oil stays put, there is a 99% chance the engine is fine. If there is a hole in the piston, the oil will run away instantly.

To test the valves all they have to do is remove the valve cover and look at the valve clearance. Not remove the head, just the cover!

They did neither of these things and that just SCREAMS Rip Off to me. Big time!

To 'fake' a dead engine, all they have to do is put the belts on slightly wrong either 'accidentally' or on purpose.

Sorry man, but I really think you are getting ripped off.

I would 'highly' recommend you get a second opinion before getting suckered for $2500.00.

My $0.02,

Mike

Mike Romain

Maybe I'm a dumbass Mike, but why don't you explain to me how they could kill 2 cylinders by putting the belt on a tooth ot two out of time? Bob

Reply to
Bob

Likely the same way only 2 cylinders can show 0 compression. If the belt slipped enough to punch out pistons or bend valves, how come it only did 2? He stated he cranked it trying to start it after it stalled.

I don't know the cam timings to explain it, but I have seen engines missing compression only in a couple cylinders when the belt is on wrong.

Mike

Mike Romain

That's from the engine turning over when the belt is broken or missing. If it were caused by it being installed wrong all of either the intake or the exhaust valves would be bent and none of the cylinders would have any compression. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Because that is what happened.

Worked on a 97 Catera last week, timing belt broke, bent all the valves on the right side of the engine, left side is fine.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

You're must making stuff up, now. I've never heard of anyone "testing" an engine that way. Compression or leakdown to check valve seal, followed by head removal (to repair the bad valves) and visual inspection of pistons is the norm. They should also check the TDC height of the each piston as the engine is rotated, because these little Japanese engines sometimes bend connecting rods instead of holing the pistons.

Reply to
Steve

Because the belt passed through the maximum interference phasing just as two pistons smacked valves, then came to rest at a non-interference phasing? Who really knows. The process of a belt breaking or even slipping is dynamic- the cam and crank phasing vary as the incident happens. A belt installed wrong results in a static timing offset.

Impossible. If the belt is on wrong (and there's no other damage) then all cylinders WILL be affected equally. End of story.

Reply to
Steve

I wish Mike could have seen what all was involved in repairing that one. He seems to think a repair like that can be done for $100....lol Bob

Reply to
Bob