Question on monocoque chassis...

Can anyone tell me the reason monocoque chassis have a lot of irregular "planes" such as the floor? I mean they're not usually flat even though they can be flat. Most parts have curves.... seems to be stamped.

I'm studying welding and fiberglass fabrication and I'm planning to build a monocoque chassis. Been trying to study monocoque chassis from different cars.

Reply to
lethaldriver

Because convolution adds strength. If it were flat it would be weaker, Look at stamped steel, or even courregated cardboard.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Exactly.... in the same vein that an egg is not a cube, except that the chicken would have a heck of a time with a cubic egg.

Curved surfaces often convey strength and rigidity that flat surfaces cannot.

Open tubes are also stronger than rods containing the same amount of metal.

This is a study, not an exercise in logic.

Reply to
hls

what do you call those curves/bends on the chassis floor or maybe ceiling?

Reply to
lethaldriver

It increases strength in one direction. Take a piece of corrugated iron and notice how much harder it is to bend in one direction than in the other. The corrugations stiffen it.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Which has better strength to weight ratio? a monocoque or a tubular, spaceframe chassis?

Reply to
lethaldriver

Why don't you buy some of Carrol Smith's books? They will answer questions you haven't even thought of yet.

Reply to
Steve Austin

Right. An open rod has two 'bearing' surfaces, the inside surface and the outside surface.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B