radio frequency emmision

My Jeep Cherokee has begun to operate my automatic gates randomly. This can occur with the vehicle switced off as well as with engine running. Other vehicles we own do notdo so. Any ideas?! George

Reply to
gdodds

How can you tell it's the Cherokee doing it?

Reply to
clifto

Because I can "control" the gates by driving the car into and out of range. I have isolated many electric functions by removing fuses and relays. None of my other cars do it I have removed and swapped around the remote control from vehicle to vehicle. It is more predictable if the motor is running but not essential. The common denominator is the Cherokee at normal remote control distance from the gates - around 30 metres or less. The emission is probably constant (or fairly constant) as it defeats the remote - i.e. the remote does not function untill the jeep is out of range.

Reply to
gdodds

Is the Cherokee taller than the other vehicles you drive into and out of range?

Have you lost any remotes in the past? Is there one jammed in the seat of the Cherokee, transmitting continuously?

Reply to
clifto

Not enough info. What are the freqs of the equipment? Digital? Analog? What is the encoding scheme? Channel hopping? etc.

Reply to
Paul

First, get the manual for the gate opener and find out what frequency it operates at.

Then call your local amateur radio club and see if there is someone with a spectrum analyzer who might want to come over and help you track it down.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Some cars have a garage door opener control built-in. Does yours?

Reply to
John S.

Found it!! The spec. analizer idea was the trigger. No local club (rural Spain!) Bought a new radio card for the gate system and set it up with battery and LED. Got erratic triggers from the XJ but statistically more when occupying the passenger seat. Attenuated the Radio card by wrapping it in foil with no antenna etc Eventually centred off on right rear passenger foot area. Under the carpet (removed during a radio fit) was a remote!! Only triggered (I suppose) when floor/carpet deflected under weight of person sitting near. All made more frustrating and inconsistant because the remote switches off after 30 secs constant output and needs further 15 secs before turning on (and then only if the button is momentarily released). Before retiring I spent 30 years in the auto trade and we always said "there's always a new one"! My wife only admitted losing the remote when I found the damn thing! Many thanks for responses George

Reply to
gdodds