Re: 2000 Buick lesabre ABS & traction light

As usual Kevin's suggestions are on the money. Ultimately here, this

>probably will have to be scanned with an abs function scanner to check for >abs codes and comparative wheel speed sensor inputs to pinpoint the problem. >> >>> Brake job was done on the car. Now once the car is put in gear, and >>> starts down the road, the ABS light comes on at the top of the gauge >>> area, and the TRACTION OFF light comes on at the left of the gauge >>> area. >>> >>> Was a code set by replacing the brake pads & rotors? If so, How do I >>> erase it? >>> >> >> Probably, one or more of the wheel speed sensors may have been damaged or >> disturbed (may just need adjusting) during the brake repairs. I would >> bring the car back to the repair shop and have them correct their mistake. >> You might try disconnecting the battery negative cable to clear any stored >> codes and reset the light, but if there is a malfunction the warning >> lights will return. If this was a DIY job then get a good repair manual >> and study up on diagnosing the ABS and Traction lock system. If you need >> help understanding the procedures, post back with more information. >> -- >> Kevin Mouton >> Automotive Technology Instructor >> "If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" >> Red Green

Here's a simple thing to try that requires NO diagnostic equipment nor purchase of parts:

Remove the wheel speed sensors. If they are covered with iron filing fuzz (wear particles from semi-metallic pads and from the rotors) remove the fuzz and reinstall them. These are magnetic signal generators so will attract iron debris. Test drive. If fault lights are off you are good to go! I have seen this work more than once. If no luck, a scan tool will be required unless a visual inspection reveals a broken lead. Almost certainly the same single fault caused both the ABS and the TRACTION indications.

Don

Don