Re: Aluminum vs. Copper/Brass Radiator '90 Olds

Now, just as a matter of education. 1. Are all new replacement radiators

> now aluminum? I realize most new car radiators are. 2. Is the regular > green antifreeze okay. The bottle says it is. I understand there are > better antifreezes available for aluminum? 3. Is the amount of heat > exchange as good as copper/brass? I never had an overheat in this car in > even the hottest weather, AC on in heavy traffic or sitting idling for long > periods. Will the aluminum radiator still permit that? Physics tells me > that copper is a better conductor of heat?

No, not all new replacement radiators are aluminum. I got a nice copper one just recently for my '94 Caprice 9c1.

New antifreeze (green or red) is just fine for aluminum. A lot of engines are made of aluminum either whole or in part, so it has to be.

Aluminum actually transfers heat better than copper if I'm not mistaken. Pretty good conductor, and not very corrosion prone. The problem with those radiators are the plastic end tanks, and the how they are attached. It tends to crack and leak, just like you experienced. So it'll be fine, just won't last quite as long as a better one.

Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith

Sorry, copper is a better conductor. It's a small part of the total equation tho.

Personally, I despise radiators with crimped tops/rubber seals. It's only a matter of time before they fail. You can't beat a soldered copper radiator for longevity & repairability.

-Jeff Deeney-

Reply to
Jeff Deeney

As far as the base metal goes, Copper is a better conductor of heat (and electricity) than Aluminum. Thermal conductivity of pure Copper is 400 vs. Aluminum is 230[/W m-1 K-1] but will be slightly different for the alloys. As for a radiator, Aluminum is lighter and if it can have equivalent or better cooling capacity depending on design, tube thickness and surface area (tubes and fins).

Reply to
bobby

Well I agree with you about the difference in thermal performance. On the other hand I am not at all sure you have it right about corrosion resistance - at least as long as you keep your antifreeze in good condition. And certainly there has been enough aluminum used in engines for the last 30 years so that you don't really need to worry about galvanic corrosion between the block and the radiator. As for the crimped on tanks. I have had more brass radiators fail at the joints than plastic / aluminum radiators.

Regards,

Ed White

Steve wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

However, depending on the alloy the aluminum might be a better conductor than the brass, though worse than copper. The bigger problem is the conduction and convection heat transfer to the air blowing through it, so I wouldn't worry.

Re: antifreeze get name brand green stuff (ethylene glycol) for aluminum engines (i.e. any name brand green stuff made in the last 20 years?)

Reply to
The Masked Marvel