Re: Camry vs Altima Question

Hello:

> > Anyone care to give any opinions on 2003 / 2004 Altima vs Camry regarding > reliability, quality, etc. > > Know this is very subjective, but am strongly considering a new Camry, > but various folks have said I should look also at the Altima's. > > Would truly hope to get 100,000 + miles on whichever i end up with. > -think this would be (significantly) different for 4 vs 6 cyl. ? > > Opinions would be gratly apprciated. > > Thanks, > Bob >
Reply to
stuart8181

If you follow the recommended maintenance schedule, either vehicle with either engine should easily surpass 100,000 miles. Heck, both my Sisters got VWs over 100,000 miles and they aren't even particular about maintenace. I have had numerous Fords well over 100,000 without routine maintenance and they were running great when I sold them. I can't recall the last car I owned that had any sort of engine problems. It is usually the body and interior bits that give out, and this has more to do with years than miles.

Personally the Nissan look much better. Toyota's I have been associated with have had terrible reliability and have driven like pigs, but then that is just me. Persoanly I think Camry's are just about the most boring vehicles on the planet. But I guess, boring can be good. You should drive both and decide which you prefer. Nobody can guarantee that you won't get a lemon, but chances are good that you won't from either Nissan or Toyota.

Regards,

Ed White

Robert11 wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

I owned a 1986 Sable. I personally drove it 135,000 miles and never had to have the transmission replaced. I did replace the water pump at around 100,000 miles, but the one I took off was not bad. I sold the car to a freind and his son drove it for a few more years until he crashed in into a tree. It was a far far better car than the horrid Toyota Cressida I owned. The Cressida was a rolling junk pile. It required a replacement alternator every August. The A/C never worked right. The plastic interior was tacky and fell apart in less than 7 years. The tansmission started acting up at less than 60,000 miles. The exterior paint faded and the trim looked like crap in less than 5 years. It was the most horrible car I was ever associated with. And it drove like crap too. But that is just my personl, non-statically valid experience. Oh what a feeling.

I might be lucky, but I have never personally had an automatic transmission fail. I have had two manuals that needed work (Plymouth and Jensen-Healey), but both of those failed becasue of design problems and did so at relatively low miles.

I like Hondas bettter than either Nissans or Toyotas, but the original poster did not mention Accords.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

The 60K failure myth of Taurus/Sable trannys comes from the boys like him in the Toyota news group and should be discounted as not factual. Like you, I've seen thousands of them with high mileage in fleet service that never had a tranny problem This whole, 'Japanese cars are better,' thing is a myth as well from what I see in are business. Every manufacturer is building good vehicles today. The only real difference I see is style and price. Personally I run two cars, I buy a new car every year and sell the two year old. I owned honda, Toyotas and several Lexus' but stopped buying Japanese cars in 2000 because they simply have overpriced their cars, compared to the competition, over the past five years or so. Even the supposed 'better used value' is a myth. As a percentage of the new car price the Japanese cars are actually worth less.

mike hunt

"C. E. White" wrote:

Reply to
StoneyMason

Sure I know what I am talking about. I had this car. 3 water pumps, 1 auto tranny, a failed AC all in 90K miles. I am not the only one. In any case the marketplace sets the price on this car. Why else would a brand new car with V6 sell for under 16K, when competition sells for considerably more--the list prices are similar--but discounting is rampant with these Ford products This is also the case with used cars--Tauruses and Sables are worth very little after 2 to 3 years. The used car market obviously does not think much of these cars either. But if it works for you then you got yourself a really good deal!

Reply to
Vijay Kumar

Reply to
stuart8181

Where all the other 20K cars you looked at 4cy cars as well?

mike hunt

Bruce Change wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

I told my parents they should get a V6. They said they didn't need the extra power and got a 4 banger. Like I said before, I wanted them to get a used one and I wanted a V6.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang