4 vs. 6 Cylinder Camry (2005)

Hello,

I will be purchasing a 2005 Camry XLE within the next week.

I have driven both a 4-cylinder and a 6-cylinder, and found, with the test driving that I could do, very little difference in performance; currently I drive a 2001 Sienna.

Does anyone have any recommendations of which to get?

Thank you for your time.

Robert

Reply to
Robert D. Vanderslice II

If there is little difference in your mind then buy the 4 cylinder. It will be cheaper to maintain and easier to repair if you wish to work on it yourself. Even more important, it will cost less to purchase. However you may consider getting the upgraded alloy wheels rather than the smaller steel wheels. The overall handling will be slightly better in my opinion.

Reply to
badgolferman

If you frequently haul 3 or 4 folks in car and live in a hilly area then definately get the V6. Otherwize the 4 is better on gas, easier to maintain and probably a better resale way down the road.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I'd pick the six. Owning a 4 cyl, I've found times when it just doesn't cut it. On ramps to freeways with 4 people and stuff in the trunk. Up hills in the mountains.

Also, you'll note the resale value of a 6 is higher than that of a four.

If you can afford the additional cost, get the 6.

Reply to
gburnore

Or travel to a hilly area. Or live near a freeway ... ... ...

Blue Book even disagrees with you on that.

Reply to
gburnore

I argree. Test drive both cars again with four adults in the car and luggage. Also, turn on the AC! Drive up and down hills and merge into traffic on the freeway. Then decide if the four cylinder is good enough. If you never intend to carry four people or take this car on trips, then this test is meaningless. You did say you have 2001 Sienna, you already know how comfortable this is on long trips. You should also know of the maintenance issues with the V6, since you have it in the Sienna.

We have a Sienna and love it. I had a V6 Camry. If given the chance to buy another Camry I would buy the four cylinder with a manual transmission because I would use it to drive only me to work. We use the Sienna for any trips. Also you cannot get a V6 Camry sedan with a manual transmission anymore :-( The Camry sedan V6 with a manual was a great "sleeper". It looked like all a slow four cylinder Camry with an automatic, until you hit the gas :-) Objects in the rearview mirrors got smaller very quickly.

Reply to
ma_twain

My 4-Cyl 05 Camry gets over 40 MPG on high way, around 35MPG over all with

20% local. I can drive close to 500 miles for each tank of gas. Very nice given current gas price. I use my Sienna to carry heavy load.
Reply to
XYZ ABC

Just curious, why would the 4 banger be better resale down the road?

Reply to
Josh

Just out of curiosity, do you live in England? High gas milages have been report because the English gallon is larger. The US EPA rating is

24 mpg City/34 mpg Highway. The US specs are 18.5 gallon tank, which means at 35 mpg you could go 650 miles to a tank. Using your 40 mpg you could go 740 miles per tank on the highway.
Reply to
ma_twain

It would not. The V6 costs more to buy than the 4cy models. One of the problems in choosing a V6 Camry is pricing. To get one you generally need to buy 'more car,' you can't just 'add a V6' to most any model like Honda.

Unless you will be happy with a car that is slow to get going, and keep going on long grades when fully occupied, buy the V6 WBMA

mike hunt

Josh wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

I live in the US. According to the on-board computer, I'm getting over 40MPG on highway. I have not actually tested this on the high way with a tank of gas. I should say "close to 500 miles per fill", which is 15-16 gallons when the light comes up. (450 - 500) Miles / (15 - 16) Gallons is my actual normal drive number, which is pretty close to the calculation of the on-board computer. The computer may not be bery accurate, but I believe it's very close.

I was surprised too when I first saw the number and thought the computer may be completely out of whack. But after a few tanks , I think it's close.

BTW, I'm very easy on gas and drive smoothly. I have to with the gas price rising and the mileage display in the car sliding, :). I found the mileage display in the car a very useful tool to force you go easy on gas.

ZR

Reply to
XYZ ABC

Robert D. Vanderslice II wrote: || Hello, || || I will be purchasing a 2005 Camry XLE within the next week. || || I have driven both a 4-cylinder and a 6-cylinder, and found, with || the test driving that I could do, very little difference in || performance; currently I drive a 2001 Sienna.

Very little difference in performance? You have GOT to be kidding. There's much more in the 6 cylinder package than just a larger motor: there's larger wheels and tires for one example. Heavier suspension. I bought a SIX cylinder 99 Camry--one of the best decisions in my 58 years on this planet.

Reply to
Liberal|sarl|airs|

badgolferman wrote: || Robert D. Vanderslice II, 4/2/2005, 1:42:25 AM, wrote: || ||| Hello, ||| ||| I will be purchasing a 2005 Camry XLE within the next week. ||| ||| I have driven both a 4-cylinder and a 6-cylinder, and found, with ||| the test driving that I could do, very little difference in ||| performance; currently I drive a 2001 Sienna. ||| ||| Does anyone have any recommendations of which to get? ||| ||| Thank you for your time. ||| ||| Robert || || If there is little difference in your mind then buy the 4 cylinder. || It will be cheaper to maintain and easier to repair if you wish to || work on it yourself. Even more important, it will cost less to || purchase. However you may consider getting the upgraded alloy wheels || rather than the smaller steel wheels. The overall handling will be || slightly better in my opinion. ||

Why not get the LARGER steel wheels? Why should ALLOY wheels be any better than STEEL wheels...of the SAME size? The alloy ones are much softer and damage easier when hitting curbs..potholes etc... I know, maybe YOU never have that happen to you, but in the REAL world incidents occur.

|| -- || No matter what happens someone will find a way to take it too || seriously.

Reply to
Liberal|sarl|airs|

snipped-for-privacy@databasix.com wrote: || In alt.autos.toyota Robert D. Vanderslice II wrote: ||| Hello, || ||| I will be purchasing a 2005 Camry XLE within the next week. || ||| I have driven both a 4-cylinder and a 6-cylinder, and found, with ||| the test driving that I could do, very little difference in ||| performance; currently I drive a 2001 Sienna. || ||| Does anyone have any recommendations of which to get? || || I'd pick the six. Owning a 4 cyl, I've found times when it just || doesn't cut it. On ramps to freeways with 4 people and stuff in the || trunk. Up hills in the mountains. || || Also, you'll note the resale value of a 6 is higher than that of a || four. || || If you can afford the additional cost, get the 6.

One of the FEW occasions that I AGREE with Gary.

|| =========================================================================

Reply to
Liberal|sarl|airs|

XYZ ABC wrote: || My 4-Cyl 05 Camry gets over 40 MPG on high way, around 35MPG over || all with 20% local. I can drive close to 500 miles for each tank of || gas. Very nice given current gas price. I use my Sienna to carry || heavy load.

You have paying thousands of dollars more every year, just to have that option. A whole lot of people rarely use both vehicles at the same time, i.e. families. We sold our second vehicle 6 years ago and have seldom had any conflict over usage that good PLANNING didn't solve.

Reply to
Liberal|sarl|airs|

It wouldn't. Never has. The 6's are built better. BTW, I put a set of 15" alloy wheels on her 4 cyl in place of the 14" crap and it's picked up a bit of gas mileage and the handling is better.

Performance isn't better though.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Back then and even in 2000, the V6 Camry did have a heavier suspension. I don't believe that is the case today. The optional suspension available today is the SE (sport) suspension. I drove an SE and the suspension was slightly stiffer than the LE. The only thing I was not happy about with the Camry was the seat. I would get a sore back if I sat in the car for more than two hours.

Reply to
ma_twain

Smart move! I wish I could do it, but we are adding a driver to our family. We need two vehicles now and a third (inexpensive but safe/good) used car has been added for our new teenage driver. A new teenage driver does not belong in a turbocharged sports car with a manual transmission - that is my toy! She also does not belong in a minivan, for multiple reasons.

Reply to
ma_twain

ma_twain wrote: || Liberal|sarl|airs| wrote: || ||| XYZ ABC wrote: ||||| My 4-Cyl 05 Camry gets over 40 MPG on high way, around 35MPG over ||||| all with 20% local. I can drive close to 500 miles for each tank ||||| of gas. Very nice given current gas price. I use my Sienna to ||||| carry heavy load. ||| ||| You have paying thousands of dollars more every year, just to have ||| that option. A whole lot of people rarely use both vehicles at the ||| same time, i.e. families. We sold our second vehicle 6 years ago ||| and have seldom had any conflict over usage that good PLANNING ||| didn't solve. || || || Smart move! I wish I could do it, but we are adding a driver to our || family. We need two vehicles now and a third (inexpensive but || safe/good) used car has been added for our new teenage driver. A new || teenage driver does not belong in a turbocharged sports car with a || manual transmission - that is my toy! She also does not belong in a || minivan, for multiple reasons.

Oh? And so of those reasons would be?

Reply to
Liberal|sarl|airs|

You might look at a mint condition Volvo 240. Older, easy to maintain, and exactly right for a first car. In 2-3 years, get a better car for her like a Camry. $3-4K, tops, for a near mint condition one.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander