Re: Failed Smog Test, PLS HELP!!!

I have a 99 Altima with 49,000 miles. I just got the smog done on it, it

> passed the emissions part but it failed the "functional" part because the > Ignition Timing is off. It says Ignition Timing 12 BTDC. Is this serious? > Hard / Expensive to fix? What can cause this? Is this damaging my engine? > Now, I have to get this fixed and do a retest for $40. The jerks knew there > was a problem w/ the timing before they did the smog but went w/ the test > anyways :(. > > thanks > >

It is very easy to fix and shouldn't cost much, free at some places if you get the test there.

Be aware that if your readings just barely passed you might fail after the adjustment. Also be aware that there is a tolerance on the 12 degrees, perhaps as much as +/- 3 degrees. If you do fail you can push the timing back to the limit.

Reply to
root

You should be able to do this one yourself easy enough. You'll need a timing light and you'll have to disconnect the distributor advance. If you have to pay someone else to fix it I'd imagine that it would inexpensive to fix. Just call around and ask.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

Your car's emission components should be under warranty for 50K miles.

elmo wrote:

Reply to
Rick Colombo

Nope, OBD2 basic emissions coverage is 2/24 with the 3/36 bumper to bumper overlap.

Major components are covered for 8/80 or 10/100 under OBD2 (Cat, PCM, diagnostic interface)

Reply to
Neil Nelson

"elmo" wrote in news:Jp6Pa.23013$ snipped-for-privacy@sea-read.news.verio.net:

Procedure says that you have to:

  1. disconnect the TPS
  2. start engine
  3. rev engine between 2,000 to 3,000 rpm two or three times under no-load and let return to idle
  4. check time with light.. should be 20 degrees BTDC with a 2 degree tolerance.
  5. if incorrect adjust by turning distributor.
Reply to
Death