Re: Harbor Freight Portapower Sets - Are They Worth Buying?

I bought a portapower set (10 tons) 30 (in words: thirty) years ago. Still working. But the power cylinder is losing oil now. Bent quite some cars straight when I was young (NOT my cars), now it serves as a shop-press.

For that price, BUY IT NOW!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Are the Harbor Freight portapower set worth buying?

I've used one for dent repairs. Worked great.

Also consider the 94681 add-on kit with the pullback ram. There's a short lifter that could be drilled for a hydraulic pressure gage to make a force gage.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

You won't be able to do much with the 4 ton. The 10 ton is a generic set that's sold under seemingly a few dozen names including "DELCO." Works pretty good, but you can break attachments if you really push it. I use mine all the time on the 1/4 mile dirt oval car -- for obvious reasons.

Don

Don

Check out Cummings tool

Note price $100.00

I bought the 10 ton set and got a pretty good value for the buck. Only problem was the plastic case came destroyed from the mail, but I called and actually talked to a human. Three days later I had a new case and didn't have to return the old one.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Paskell

I bought the 10 ton. It's worth it. The only thing I don't like is the cheap plastic case.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

I have both Enerpac/OTC and HF hydraulics. Yes..the Enerpac/OTC are superior. But about 5 x the price as well. For one-offs and for hobby grade stuff..the HF/Clones are just fine IMHO.

If I were using it daily..yes.Id go with the Enerpac/OTC

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

Too_Many_Tools wrote in article ...

Compared with the Enerpac, the Harbor Freight stuff is really, really cheap feeling and you won't be happy with that. It really does not feel like good metal or good machining.

But, it will mostly do the job if you can live with that. Go with the

10 ton unit, not the 4. But honestly, you really want to check this stuff out at a Harbor Freight store before buying it, because you will be amazed at how cheesy it is. Probably fine for occasional use, though.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey