Re: my alloys are black with brake dust

I bought a car with the "sports pack" including alloy wheels

> and slotted disc brakes. > I have to wash the wheels every 2 weeks, as they become > very dirty. Does this mean > a) the brake pads are too soft? > b) I drive like Lewis Hamilton?

I'm betting it has to do with the Lewis Hamilton impersonation.

Do the rotors get red hot when you hit the brakes?

And if you really are a Japanese woman that knows about Hamilton and looks anything at all like this

I'll look at your brakes personally.

BTW, what car is it? Some are more notorious from brake dust than others and can usually be remedied by changing to a different type of pad. Also, get some Dupont Teflon car wax and spread it liberally on the wheels. It will help keep the dust from sticking.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Usually means you skimped on buying decent pads!

Reply to
Scotty

Purchase some good ceramic pads and the brake dust should go away.

They also make some wheel cleaner that repels dirt/dust/mud etc. I can't recall the name off hand though.

Chas

Reply to
m6onz5a

ALL pads leave a residue on the wheels!

Reply to
Mat

The ferodos left all sorts of shit all over the rims, Bendix leaves stuff all, stop better and to date have had no fade unlike the Ferodos.

Just did a set of Bendix on the Outback, also stuff all dust from them. More road duct than pad dust.

(All sets have been Bendix Titanium versions)

Reply to
Scotty

There's a huge difference between various brands though in the amount of dust they leave and how tenacious it is. Metal Masters are particularly bad, although they're still on the market because people like them for other reasons.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

indeed. akebono ceramics are great for stopping dust on europeans.

Reply to
jim beam

It means you're too picky. Just let them go black, it won't hurt anything.

Some brake pads will throw more dust than others; you can try a few different aftermarket brands and see if you can find one that is less dusty.

But I just let them get dirty; it shows you actually drive the car.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

or buy very dark grey wheels never have to worry about cleaning them then

Kev

Reply to
Kev

right, AKA "Anthracite"

I like this option best of all, unfortunately few vehicles have this as an option from the factory

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Is there a shortage of soap and water there???? Takes < 5 mins to clean them

Reply to
Mat

You've never owned a car where the previous owner never washed the wheels, have you? Sometimes they are impossible to salvage.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Both of my cars are like that. But then again, the previous owner never washed anything else either, so it all matches nicely. Come to think of it, I haven't washed anything much either.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

You can salvage almost anything, Nate. I have had to take them in to the bead blaster when winter salt uglied them up. Then prime and paint them.

Usually, this pad dust comes off easily enough.

Reply to
hls

VIM or any cream cleaner, paint thinner, solvent

Reply to
Mat

Here's one way:

THis method is not quite so easy. I did a set of wheels for my Corolla GTS this way, and I got rid of the "machining marks" mentioned in the article. I was selling used cars and it was slow, and it took about 40 hours per wheel! They come out REALLY GOOD.

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

You can by Acid wheel cleaner from the Grooming suppliers. Cant use on clear coated wheels though. Spray on, give a small scrub with old nail brush and water blast off. Come up real well. Work even better with allow bars/steps etc. Just need to be careful of paint work.

Reply to
Scotty

coated wheels though.

real well. Work even

I have some of the Mercedes-Benz factory wheel cleaner which is the best I've found. But if the brake dust has actually eaten into the paint you're still done.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

In message , hls writes

Did I see a few years ago some clear varnish to paint onto alloys, so that they are shiny? I think the idea was that brake dust would be easier to wash off of a shiny surface.

Reply to
Clive

I dont remember seeing that but it is very possible. I dont find the dust hard to remove (at least, so far), but I do find it hard to summon up the interest to get serious about washing them;>)

Reply to
hls