Changing headlight

Question would be, why do they have to take the bumper off, increasing the cost quite a bit? Had a 2007, one place scratched their heads for 45 minutes and came to me with a handful of printouts saying they had to take it off.. Said goodbye, he was not polite..

Went to Elgin Toyota and they suggested to change both headlights since the bumper has to come off..

Am I crazy or does that just doesn't jive?

Then I watch a nice looking lady at a shop change out the left one and she was done in 2. 23 seconds.. Under three minutes?? What gives?

Reply to
Dennis C

Why didn't the shop say: "It looks to me like your bulb is burned out. Do you want the bulb replaced or the whole head light assembly?" Why should a customer have to be familiar with "shop jargon".

Cheers!

Autumn

Reply to
Autumn

Interesting answer.. Problem is I am 76 years old Cars owned were 1948 Buick 1949 Chrysler. A Nash, A Henry J. Several Fords in the 50's, were I learned how to fix cars. Had great cars and no so. First new car was a The AMC Hornet is a compact automobile which was manufactured and marketed by the American Motors Corporation (AMC) in a single generation from model years 1970 through 1977. "

That was one of the worst mistakes I ever made..

Anyway, I know cars and I know when the headlight is burnt out.. All they do, to make it easy for MEN, is remove the bumper to get to the housing.. They never remove the assembly, no need too..

But as I said, watching a girl change one in a couple of minutes.. It is a rip off as far as I am concerned.

I don't know if this link will work on this site...

Dennis C

"Dennis C" wrote in message news:40c9a$550772b8$41b57997$ snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com...

I do not know your car specifically, but most (all that I am aware of) modern cars have lamps that come out to the engine bay side of the lamp assembly. Usually, you open the hood and reach down the back side of the headlamp to gain access to the light bulb. The lamp holder is usually something that turns 30-ish degrees or so to release the lamp.

When working with the lamps, DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS. If do touch the glass, use isopropyl alcohol and a tissue or cotton pad to clean the grease of your fingers -- EVEN IF YOUR FINGERS LOOK CLEAN TO YOU. Finger prints make hot spots on the glass that will cause it to explode, and you will be replacing a light bulb again, soon.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yep, changed many a headlight, engine, transmission.. But even Toyota takes the bumper off.. I tried and I am aware of not touching the bulb. but my hands are too large to fit.

Maybe some sunny day I will venture out and look closer..

Changed the cabin filter today, feel good about that..

Reply to
Dennis C

I'm confused. I told you that the bulb is replaced from the engine bay, and you give us a video of replacing the bulb from the engine bay. What, exactly, is the question we are helping you with?

One would replace the headlamp assembly if it was clouded or damaged, and polishing was not an option. Maybe the car has some older style, and a person wants to install a new LED based headlamp. There are lots of reasons to replace an assembly, there is no reason to remove the assembly just because the lamp is burnt out.

Having said that, if the bumper needs to come off, then there are typically

2 or 4 bolts that hold it on, so removing it is not a big deal. I've never seen a car where the bumper had to be removed to replace a burnt out headlamp.

Depending on the bulb, it should cost about $45 for two, and take less than

10 minutes to put them in. My car takes 4 bulbs, and when I replace them all at once, I'm out of the store for less than $100 and I buy the expensive halogen bulb from Sylvania.
Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Ok, either I am typing wrong or you reading wrong, a normal hand (MINE) cannot "JUST" reach in.. No Fking way..

Headlamp CLOUDED, I am not interested in that, I have stuff that cleans it up..

Only 2/4 bolts that hold it on,, Except I am 76 and stopped crawling on the ground a long time ago..

I would suggest you refer to the fact that I was talking about a 2007 Prius and it is the same on the 2012 I have now If you go to a ordinary garage, they might not know how to do it.

Toyota does it by the book and it works

This ends the conversation.. End of story

Reply to
Dennis C

nless you own a Chevy, and then it's SOP. Friend's manual for changing bulbs: Headlight: Bring car to dealer

Reply to
Hachiroku ハチロク