Re: Suggestion For Passenger & LT Tire Makers:

I don't know the burst pressure of a typical brand new passenger vehicle tire, which I think, they test using water (for safety reasons), but I would think it's unattainable by "normal" air compressors (at home anyway, and perhaps at gas stations too).

Is it? o Dunno.

Looking it up... first hit... o Is it possible to burst a tire from too much air pressure?

"over-inflation almost never causes tire failure. The standard tire is inflated to about 30 to 35 pounds per square inch. Under hot weather and highway conditions, the temperature of the air inside the tire rises about 50 degrees. That increases the pressure inside the tire about 5 psi. The burst pressure of a tire is about 200 psi. So unless you had your tires pumped up to 195 psi (trust us, you didn't), you didn't come anywhere near bursting the tire from too much internal pressure."

They go on to say under inflation is the real risk of burst tires, but let's look for corroboration on the 200 psi ballpark figure... o What Causes Tire Blowout?

"tires will burst at a static pressure of around 200psi."

Give the tire pressure is usually around 40PSI for a passenger vehicle, and that the maximum is usually something like 60PSI, it seems that the "burst pressure" of a new tire is 200PSI, which is basically unattainable at a "standard" air compressor pump (at least the ones that I use).

Of course, I'm well aware that heat will destroy a tire in no time, e.g., running underinflated, or flat, and that age and wear and damage change the dynamic, so all this is for a brand new tire, and not for a worn or overloaded tire.

Reply to
Arlen Holder