Re: Which Shock..Gabreil or Monroe??

Jim wrote in article ...

> Go with the Monroes, Gabriels are the lowest quality shocks on the planet. > >

I modify stock-mount/application automotive shock absorbers for the lower oval-track racing divisions where racing shocks are not allowed to be used, and "stock" shocks are mandated. I generally use the "price-conscious" line

- the "$9.95" shock - from either Gabriel or Monroe as a platform for my modifications.

I have several Gabriels and a Monroes (in addition to others) apart on my shock bench, and I would defy you to tell me which is which based on the piston and valve designs. They are, virtually, identical internally.

As a matter of fact, cut open any number of old, junk passenger car shocks, and you will be likely find that the internals are more similar than different as you move from manufacturer to manufacturer.

There are some slight, measureable spring pressure differences on the foot valve (compression) and main piston (rebound) that can be seen on a spring tester such as the Rimac valve spring tester, but otherwise quite similar.

On the shock dyno, there is often as much difference between two same-brand and same-part-number shocks sitting side-by-side on the shelf as there is between the two different brands for the same application...usually 50-100 p.s.i. @ five inches per second shaft velocity.

If the choice is for the most economical shocks between the two biggest shock manufacturers in the country (Gabriel and Monroe), they are pretty much the same.....Go for the best price.

As you move up in quality, both are now using disc valving in some of their upper-level shocks, which is what current racing shocks use, but the engineers have developed too many stages - incorporating concepts such as "V-groove technology" which serves as a low-speed, mid-shock-travel bleed - to make these shocks any good for racing purposes. Their compression/rebound dyno pattern is a lot "softer" overall than the cheapest shocks which often only have two or three stages - which is why I use the "$9.95 shock."

The "luxo-shocks" - with their multi-stage valving and pressure bleeds - do offer a great boulevard ride, however.

You really have no way of knowing which particular part number uses disc valves and which still uses coils - unless you take it apart. When I spoke with a Monroe engineer, he said he would have to call up the build specs for each individual part number in order to tell me which do and which do not use disc valving.

And, Gabriel has recently introduced a mono-tube shock for trucks based on current auto racing technology - similar in design to the Penskes and Ohlins, but that is a cat of a much different color. I haven't been able to buy one from any Gabriel dealer yet.

Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E. Chassis Analysis Services

Reply to
Bob Paulin

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:43:07 -0500, "Bob Paulin" wrote:

| | |Jim wrote in article ... | |> |> Go with the Monroes, Gabriels are the lowest quality shocks on the |planet. |> |>

| | |I modify stock-mount/application automotive shock absorbers for the lower |oval-track racing divisions where racing shocks are not allowed to be used, |and "stock" shocks are mandated. I generally use the "price-conscious" line |- the "$9.95" shock - from either Gabriel or Monroe as a platform for my |modifications. | |I have several Gabriels and a Monroes (in addition to others) apart on my |shock bench, and I would defy you to tell me which is which based on the |piston and valve designs. They are, virtually, identical internally. | |As a matter of fact, cut open any number of old, junk passenger car shocks, |and you will be likely find that the internals are more similar than |different as you move from manufacturer to manufacturer. | |There are some slight, measureable spring pressure differences on the foot |valve (compression) and main piston (rebound) that can be seen on a spring |tester such as the Rimac valve spring tester, but otherwise quite similar. | |On the shock dyno, there is often as much difference between two same-brand |and same-part-number shocks sitting side-by-side on the shelf as there is |between the two different brands for the same application...usually 50-100 |p.s.i. @ five inches per second shaft velocity. | |If the choice is for the most economical shocks between the two biggest |shock manufacturers in the country (Gabriel and Monroe), they are pretty |much the same.....Go for the best price. | |As you move up in quality, both are now using disc valving in some of their |upper-level shocks, which is what current racing shocks use, but the |engineers have developed too many stages - incorporating concepts such as |"V-groove technology" which serves as a low-speed, mid-shock-travel bleed - |to make these shocks any good for racing purposes. Their |compression/rebound dyno pattern is a lot "softer" overall than the |cheapest shocks which often only have two or three stages - which is why I |use the "$9.95 shock." | |The "luxo-shocks" - with their multi-stage valving and pressure bleeds - do |offer a great boulevard ride, however. | |You really have no way of knowing which particular part number uses disc |valves and which still uses coils - unless you take it apart. When I spoke |with a Monroe engineer, he said he would have to call up the build specs |for each individual part number in order to tell me which do and which do |not use disc valving. | |And, Gabriel has recently introduced a mono-tube shock for trucks based on |current auto racing technology - similar in design to the Penskes and |Ohlins, but that is a cat of a much different color. I haven't been able to |buy one from any Gabriel dealer yet. | |Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E. |Chassis Analysis Services

Bob Thanks for the information. It's been years since I cut shocks apart. 15 years ago virtually all the Gabriels were cast pistions, O-rings seals, brass valves with coil springs. Monroes were all stamped pistons. nylon seal, spring-washers. It was easy to show that Gabriel spent their money on product, Monroe spent theirs on advertising. Personally, I still believe this to be the case and use Gabriel almost exclusively. I'd love to see a comparison of Bilstein's truck shocks vs the new Gabrielle monotube. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Fifteen years ago, the Monroes had their pistons pressed onto the shaft while the Gabriels had theirs threaded on, which is why I originally started to work with Gabriels. I could unscrew the pistons in order to modify/swap them.

Ever put an impact wrench on an old shock and had the shaft unscrew from the piston? The fact that they didn't unscrew was actually a Monroe selling point.

As I mentioned, you would be hard-pressed to pick a Gabriel piston out of a Monroe pile these days.

And, spring washers or disc valving is the current state-of-the-art technology in racing shocks these days. Monroe was actually ahead of the times, but I couldn't take them apart as easily as the Gabriels.

B.P.

Reply to
Bob Paulin