reading codes...

On my chev truck, I used to read the codes by using a paper clip to ground one of the leads in the plug and counting the various blinking lights on the dash, then cross referencing in a manual. Does that sort of thing still work?

brian

Reply to
Brian

If it worked before there's no reason why it wouldn't work now. Unless the DLC, related wiring and/or the PCM is broken.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

If by "that sort of thing still working" you mean in the general sense "cars now-a-days", then no. Most vehicles codes can only be accessed with a scan tool on newer, OBDII compliant cars. In the beginning of OBDII usage circa 1994, some companies allowed for the retrieval of codes by the same old methods as an alternative to a scan tool. I have seen manufacturers do away with that handy inclusion as the years pass (and the mandatory C.A.N. communication standard is looming, too).

As far as I know, no OBDII GMs support the A-B ground method of reading flash codes, but I am basing this on the small sample of GMs I see. Someone else more qualified can elaborate on this.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

But, the chain auto-parts stores will let you use their code reader/resetter for free.

-D

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Correct.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Or if the vehicle is OBDII (1996 and up) Then you need a code scanner for many of them.

Reply to
Steve W.

"All".....however, read the OP's question again and you will see my answer is 100% correct.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Not all the OBDII vehicles require a code scanner to read the codes. Some use a series of ignition key motions to display the codes on the odometer. Others have on board displays that will show the codes as well.

As to the OPs question, notice he said he USED TO read the codes that way and wanted to know if that technique still worked. The inference is "does it work on todays vehicles" Which is why I answered him with the OBDII info.

Reply to
Steve W.