How easy to change out thermostat on 1995 Grand Cherokee???

I'd like to change out the stock thermostat on my '95 GC Ltd. (6-cyl.

4.0L).....but how easy is it to replace? It looks like I just take off the radiator & heater hose and remove 2 hex bolts from the housing. Pretty simple job.....any pitfalls or snags? Should I replace the gasket as well?

Thanks....

Reply to
TJM

TJM did pass the time by typing:

One banana job.

The bolts go to 16 ft.lbs and keep track of the long bolt.

And yes, your better off putting a new gasket in there. Usually when you take the housing off the old gasket gets fubar.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks for the tip.....do I even need to remove the hoses? It looks like I might be able to remove the bolts and change out the thermostat without even removing the hoses.....is it possible?

Reply to
TJM

TJM did pass the time by typing:

Yes, it's possible. The hose clamps are fairly easy to remove with just a pair of vicegrips and you should check the hoses anyway for swelling or cracks.

Reply to
DougW

Why do you want to change the stock thermostat? Are you changing it to a different heat? If I recall correctly there have been discussions here in the past about how putting in a non-stock thermostat will upset the computer. It expects a certain engine temperature to work correctly.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton