Rebuilding fuel pressure pump on K-Jetronic

Having major fuel consumption problems on a 5.3 litre V8 which is only giving between 7 and 8 MPG (it can sometimes manage almost as much as 9 with the A/C off). The pump which regulates the fuel / air mixture seems to be malfunctioning in some way

It is the american K-Jetronic unit on which you aren't supposed to be able to adjust the mixture on the fuel injection system at all but I had the head bored out a few years ago where the adjustment hole is on the European units to get the mixture right to get through the New Jersey test at that time.

Now suddenly (three years alter) no amount of adjustment of the mixture makes any proper difference to the readings (or the M.P.G.)

Does anyone rebuild these pressure regulator pumps and have all the proper parameters for the different cars to which the K-Jetronic was fitted? Buying a new one would cost thousands of dollars (and I can't just take one off a junker car because all the parameters were different for each car) making me think that SOMEONE out there must be making money rebuilding these units perched on top of the injection pump?

Licensed to Quill

Reply to
Licensed to Quill