recommeded gasket material?

Looking for advice on gasket material. I replaced a mechanical fuel pump a few years ago. There is an oil leak at the gasket. Tightening the bolts doesn't stop it. The gasket was light brown in colour (cork?). I spread "fast drying, hard setting" sealant on it when it was installed.

Should I have used non-hardening gasket sealant?

Should I scrape off the old gasket and sealant and put on something else? (I don't know if I can get a replacment gasket without buying a new pump. The old one came with the pump.)

Is there a general purpose "liquid" gasket I can get and also use on the valve cover next time I check the valve lash? (There is a neoprene gasket on the valve cover now.)

I've never used a liquid gasket on a car engine before. When it comes time to replace a part is liguid gasket material hard to remove? I know how difficult silicone sealant is to remove from boats and bathtubs.

thanks.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt