Re: oil drain plug gasket?

My attorney has two Volvos and three Saabs:

I never changed any of the washers on any of those cars, and I'm good friends with him and the dealer where he buys the cars.

When my manufacturing business is established, I will buy him and myself new Saabs. Neither of those will get new washers either, even though I have a $200.00 assortment of drain plugs and washers. But I never saw boxes of 100?

Refinish King

Boris Mohar wrote: > > > > > > > > > > > >I have used copper washers for 30 oil changes and never had any problems. > > > > > > > Same here. I change my own oil and take care not to over tighten. Its a > > Volvo. > > > > Regards, > > > > Boris Mohar > > Interesting because Volvo calls for a crush washer to be replaced every > time. > >

> Just FYI. > > Mike > 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 > 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Reply to
Refinish King

Maybe I am just too used to changing them all the time....

Could be all the garages I worked in just really didn't want folks to come back complaining about oil drips in their driveways? Maybe that says good things for ESSO service stations?

Maybe our Canadian copper is different than the rest of the worlds?

We used to get boxes about 4"x4"x4" of the different sizes and I do believe they were 100 lots, maybe less, it was a while ago.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

never imagined there was so much to know about oil drain plug gaskets. I think in the next time the oil is changed I will try a home made gasket from a soft aluminum beverage can just to see how good it works.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

That gasket is likely the most important one in the whole vehicle.

If it fails, you have a dead engine.

There is a reason manufacturers recommend changing it every oil change.

Mike

"William R. Watt" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain