18-hp Briggs tractor motor. What moves the gas?

In a 12 year old Briggs/Stratton lawn tractor mower there appears to be no fuel pump. Line seems to run from the tank directly to the carb. Anyone know what draws the gas from the tank? the clear glass fuel filter is dry. Was running fine, then would start run a little and die, now won't even start. It will run when I spray carb cleaner into the carb. Is there a "pump" inside the carb?

Reply to
M.Burns

Gravity feed.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Either gravity, or suction from the carb will do just fine for short runs from tank to carb. Gravity is my bet, though. Tank is almost certainly above the carb.

Clean/change any screens/filters/similar in the fuel path - your problem should clear up. IF it doesn't, try bowing (with compressed air) "backwards" up the feed line into the tank (make sure it's empty and not capped) to dislodge anything that might be laying over/stuck in the fuel exit in the tank.

Reply to
Don Bruder

Gravity...

Reply to
Jim

If it is the18hp twin cylinder model of the 401700 series, the fuel pump is part of the carb.

The fuel is pumped via a diaphram action that is operated by te crankcase vacuum.

I have a factory service manual if you need any pages.

Rich

"M.Burns" wrote:

Reply to
G. Richard Stidger