rotor replacement on a 1994 F-150

i'm going to help my brother replace the calipers, pads, and rotors (and am thinking about swapping in some steel braided lines) on his '94 F-150. just the front; i'm leaving the rear drum brakes along.

i'm far from an expert mechanic, but knowing my limitations and knowing when to ask for help has served me well over the years. i swapped out the rotors on my 2004 Mach 1 without any troubles, but i think the rotors on this truck are of the type with built-in bearings that need to be replaced and repacked with grease, etc... so i'm not all that familiar with this type of setup.

i was hoping to read through a howto or something just to familiarize myself with things that might come up... i'm generally not a fan of web-based forums, but a perfunctory search didn't turn up too much to help me out.

i wonder if anyone here has any pointers that might help me out (web-based is OK). i'm not opposed to buying a Helm's or Chilton if that's the best way to get at the data i need.

thanks

Reply to
bitbucket

Check online with Autozone or NAPA for whatever free repair directions they may have.

Too often the manuals tell you how to do it IF you have the special tools, presses, etc that a full garage might have. You CAN do it with basic hand tools if you are persistant and know how.

About the only thing you cant do is to machine the old rotors (if they need machining).

Are you going to replace all those parts with new or remanufactured, or do you intend to refurbish them yourself?

Both possibilities are viable. You can perhaps save yourself a little money if you refurbish the old. Many people go with remanufactured to avoid the extra work, and in some cases it is cheaper to go that way.

Reply to
<HLS

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:25:26 GMT, wrote: | Check online with Autozone or NAPA for whatever free repair directions they | may have. | | Too often the manuals tell you how to do it IF you have the special tools, | presses, etc that a full garage might have. You CAN do it with basic hand | tools if you are persistant and know how. | | About the only thing you cant do is to machine the old rotors (if they need | machining). | | Are you going to replace all those parts with new or remanufactured, or do | you | intend to refurbish them yourself?

i'll replace with either new or remanufactured... depending on what the auto parts store has on hand and the cost.

i don't have the knowledge or abilty to refurbish anything myself.

appreciate the advice.

Reply to
bitbucket

Then it is pretty much a 'piece of cake'.

If there are any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Reply to
<HLS