Front Rotor replacement on a 2001 LC

I'm in the process of replacing the front rotors on my 2001 Land Cruiser. I've been to AutoZone site, but it does not give instructions other than an exploded view of the parts. I have the new rotor, bearing seal and gasket, but I cant figure out how to remove the axle hub. I have removed the caliper assembly. I'm not sure what to do next.

I don't want to use the new pads on the old rotor, unless I really have to. The one of the old pads is worn almost to metal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Reply to
Rastamon

Have you removed the torque plate (the bracket that holds the brake pads)? The torque plate is held in place with 2 bolts on the inboard side.

I'm not sure which type of setup the Land Cruiser has, but on one type, the rotor just comes off after you remove the torque plate. The rotor looks like a top hat, with just a big opening in the center.

On the other type, remove the dust cap, pull the cotter pin, unscrew the castle nut and lock nut, and bearings. The bearings need to be pressed out of the rotor's hub.

Reply to
Ray O

The caliper mounts to a bracket that has to be removed. The front hub is removed by taking off the spindle nut. You may have to remove several allen screws from the hub cover to expose the spindle nut. The spindle nut will have a washer that has one side folded over, or some other means of locking a nut that is behind it. A typical 4WD spindle nut will be a nut, and washer with a key on it, another nut, then the bearing.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I've removed the whole caliper assembly (torque plate). The rotor is bolted to the axle hub from the inside. There are six nuts holding the outer flange with a dust cap. According to diagram, there is a snap ring under the dust cap, I guess that's what is holding the flange in place. I'm not sure what to remove first, the dust cap or the six nuts. Is there a trick to removing the dust caps?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Rastamon

It doesn't really matter whether you remove the nuts or the dust cap first. There is a special service tool made for removing dust caps that looks kind of like a cross between a pair of ice tong jaws that are curved to fit under the dust cap's lip, with handles like on water pump pliers. Personally, I just use a screwdriver.

Also, when you get the bearings off, make sure you re-pack them properly.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

I don't seem to be having any luck removing the dust cap. It's in there tight. Tried hitting it with a dead blow mallet and also with a flat screwdriver. There is no space to get a blade in the gap, it's also pretty flush so no edge for the screwdriver to get a hold on. I'm almost ready to use a large pair of vise grips or adjustable pliers.

Reply to
Rastamon

I got the dust cap and the snap ring off. Someone suggested using a chisle, I had an old one handy, and finally got the dust cap off. Now I am stuck, I can't get the flange off to get to the nuts.

Reply to
Rastamon

Autozone had a TV ad showing them printing out instruction sheets for a customer who bought brake pads. I wonder they can print out rotor replacement instructions for you. Autozone bought AllData some years ago, and should be able to provide complete repair instructions for the aftermarket (but they do sell one-day subscriptions on their web site).

If Haynes manual doesn't show it, then you may save a t> I got the dust cap and the snap ring off. Someone suggested using a chisl= e,

Reply to
johngdole

Try

for $10/day for access to Toyota factory manuals. You may need a seal puller to get the flange off.

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
johngdole

Nope they are bolted on. I finally got the flange off, it needs to be hit a few time with a heavy hammer, not a dead blow mallet. Once the cone washers pop out the flange falls right out. Then after that is a matter of removing the nuts and washers. Clean and repack the bearings. Unbolt the old rotor and install new one. Then everything in reverse order of disassembly.

FYI: The inner bearing seal is a special order part (not a normally stocked part at any parts store even the dealer), so order it in advance, and don't wait until after you have already removed the rotor from the axle.

Thanks aga> I got the dust cap and the snap ring off. Someone suggested using a > chisle,

Reply to
Rastamon