Rough runner

I have a '94 Ford Ranger pickup. It has only 62000 miles on as I ride my bike a lot. It has been a good runner until recently when one day I started it and the engine ran as rough as if one cylinder was missing. Out on the street it smoothies out a little but lacks power. Since it?s drivable I?m trying to troubleshoot it myself. It has the 2.3 L 4 cyl. Engine with distributorless ignition. I?m thinking that the probability is that the problem is not the ignition because of the relatively low mileage, the two ignition modules and two plugs per cylinder. Does this make sense? My guess is a clogged fuel injector. I put in a bottle of Gumout fuel injector cleaner and have driven it about 40 miles with no results. How long does it usually take injector cleaner to work? is it possible to use a scanner on it? i don't see anything about that in Chilton's. Any other ideas? Engineman

Reply to
engineman1

First thing I'd check would be the spark plug wires. With the engine running, pull the wires off each plug, one at a time, and see if anything changes. (You may want to wear leather gloves, or use a rag for this.) No change = dead cylinder; swap the plug wire with one of the others and see if the problem follows the wire, and go from there.

Reply to
gringomasloco