Smelly gasoline spill in garage

A clamp broke on the car and let lots and lots of gasoline spill on the garage floor the other day. It STILL smells in there. I've had a fan going on high for three days now; it helps but it's not a cure. How (other than leaving the garage open to thieves all day) to get rid of the stench and fumes?

Reply to
clifto

Get a mop and a bucket of water and bleach.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

or if it's still damp, kitty litter, sawdust, anything absorbent. then do the above.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I figured that after three days, it would be just residue on the floor.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

If it is not too cold, use a powerful surfactant full strength. Here, O'Riellys has engine/wheel wash surfactant in a gallon jug. It is purple in color and will take your skin off and paint off the car. But it readily attaches to the covalent gasoline molecules and kills the smell.

Reply to
Paul

I did, too. And there is a residue. But the space is filled with the smell of gasoline, strong and unmistakable.

Reply to
clifto

Yeah, but that residue still contains hydrocarbons that stink. Heavy bunker oil and stuff like that really stink. You are left with the lower vapor pressure constituents.

I agree with the kitty litter or "oil-dry" suggestions, sweep up the stuff after a few days, dispose of it, then wash floor with a soap or TSP.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

The thing about gasoline is that it is very, very stinky, because it is so volatile. One drop of gasoline can stink the whole garage up. If it gets absorbed into cement, it may take a long long time for it to all evaporate.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

that's what bleach and the mop is for

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Bleach really doesnt do too much for hydrocarbons.

Laundry detergent, TSP, etc and water is more likely to remove it.

Reply to
HLS

Not much you can do- the gas has to evaporate and the vapors have to escape. Just putting a fan in there and "stirring" the air around won't do much. You need to exchange fresh air for the vapor-laden air. That pretty much means a) opening a window, or b) opening the door when you can be around the house.

Reply to
Steve

Bleach won't do ANYTHING to oil or gasoline. A strong detergent is needed- Castrol Super Clean, Simple Green, something like that. But the real answer is lots and lots of air exchange to get the vapors out.

Reply to
Steve