So where are the hybrid cop cars?

A bit of (near silently) idle curiosity: Are there any efforts underway to adapt or develop a hybrid for city police duty, be it patrol or the fleet cars that detectives and so forth use?

Seems a natural fit: all that stop-and-go driving where regenerative braking really shines, plus the quietness might help sneak up on bad guys(especially if the model is one a that people don't stereotypically associate with police). I recall the latter rationale, especially, for a prototype hybrid Humvee for the Army; dunno what became of it.

Of course, there are some obstacles: that's rough duty and they would have to select, or build, a robust model; political reality would probably demand at least nominally an American car (don't get me started on the fractal ambiguities of what *that* means anymore); and the price would have to be competitive (especially in populous states that buy squad and fleet cars en masse, I gather that they can negotiate a *very* good price on your traditional gassers).

Thoughts?

Reply to
Ad absurdum per aspera

I haven't heard of any hybrid cop cars but I believe there's a bunch of hybrid Ford Escapes in use as taxis in NYC (or was it Boston? Somewhere back east...).

Reply to
M.M.

Not even a large guy. I'm not particularly large, but I spent some time in an emergency services group. Full uniform and regulation gear plus a duty belt with Maglite and radio and odds and ends made it pretty difficult to fit into even a Crown Vic once you figured in the MDT and other goodies mounted in the cockpit.

Hell, the last ride-along I did, it was tough fitting me and my winter coat into the passenger side of the front seat, much less any gear. So even the funny donut jokes (heard any?) aren't applicable here.

Reply to
clifto

"Ad absurdum per aspera" wrote

Sure, I'll toss out a couple.

I was involved in the selection and procurement a while back, so my thoughts may be old. The major auto makers are indeed very interested in that BIG block of sales, and will do a lot of R&D and 'twidildy bit' production development for it (if doubt, look at what Chev did, after Caprice folded, to make the Tahoe a quite good pursuit vehicle!!!) A car that proves out well for police and taxi sales can do a big part to keep an auto assembly factory open.

Must be very solid and durable. Must have good maintenance and support train. Must be quite fair size (for lotsa equipment and the fact a ((often large)) LEO has to be comfortable using it as his office for 8-10 hours. (see*) Must be quite reasonably fast for the rare, but often enough, times that is needed. Must be decent price at fleet sale.

An example in a somewhat different area. Alternate fuels - some switched to LNG. Range/time on a filling became a real problem. Not a good plan for LEO to have to take time etc. to go to one refill spot twice in his shift. Real bad when transport out of area, and then not be able to refill!!!!!!

Yes, VERY good prices. Procurement varies a lot, but what often done is the state govt. puts out a bid. Talking about potential of several thousand cars at one 'whack', so they get good sales offers. State picks one winner in each category. Then all 'agencies' in state can decide 'in' or 'out' and if 'in' get at that price and add to total.

When your motor pool has 5 to 100 Crown Vics, they have parts available and are pretty good at quickly and efficiently working on them. After 3-5 years, (maintenance costs rise), sell them cheap at auction. Still quite inexpensive per year.

And - before a storm comes in. I am personally very frugal. Keep my own cars

15-25 years. That is a totally different thing. Primarily one driver, able to mostly keep things safe and careful. A patrol car is a very different thing. It is just one of the tools we give LEOs. 24x7 operation. What you figure for your department?? - say one patrol car per 3/4/5/6 uniformed patrol officers? For example I'll figure on #4, so count salary overhead, $65,000 a year per officer, x4 = $260,000, x3 years = $780,000. So a $20,000 Crown Vic consumed in 3 years is a real small part of overall cost. Trying to force LEOs into cars that they are less efficient in, can really cost in terms of productivity.

Every once in a while you will see some department make news with a new Renault, Saab, Porsche etc. Sounds fine, , but price probably 4 times what standard was, and when need parts --eugh. And if damaged/destroyed before end of life???

And do not forget the cost and hassell of the accesories, radio equipment, cages etc. Once a company has done the work to develop a cage for sale nation wide for a Crown Vic (and it very likely can be after 3 years pulled out and used again!) - it reasonable cost. For a one-off, pay through nose!

And - remember the risk assesment/liability lessons. "The lug nut rule = in a collision, the vehicle with the most lug nuts, generally wins." Face it, bigger cars are safer for their occupants. As an employer of fairly expensive employees, covered by workman's compensation, you would not want to put them out in bikes, mopeds, or 1,000 lb. cars.

My thought/opinion - it (hybrid etc.) is being looked at very closely. Once one big agency tries - others will really watch. If anyone gets 3 years of good records/results, then a big switch can happen. It probably most likely to be facilitated by a dept. that issues a car to an LEO - take home car. Better pride, care, and better results.

(*) bad old memories, you just stired up. Late 1990s, Choice on the fleet purchase was the known and good big Ford Crown Vic., and the mid-size Chev (pre-Malibu). I knew both drove, worked, maintained just fine. The selection committee decided to get a couple of the Chevs. along with the bulk of Crown Vics. For a variety of reasons, many and vocal officers decided to do what they could to avoid the Chevs. Have you ever tried to train cats? In many cases, it's not worth it! Those Chevs ended up being switched to other government administrative fleet uses. Sometimes, Right or Wrong, is not as important as what people will accept.

Reply to
a425couple

I agree. Thank you for adding. No LEO on duty is a 'thinclad sprinter'.

Reply to
a425couple

I used to own a second hand 1986 Ford Crown Victoria car.Three years ago on Christmas day,my next oldest sister's son gave me the car for free.I wound up selling the car,I prefer vans.

Hybrids for meter maids might be ok for using around town,but otherwise,for police and sheriff work,I don't think hybrids can cut it.Not yet anyway. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin