Some scraches on the hood; advice on corrosion and paint protection

Hi All,

I bought a new nissan Altima 3 weeks ago.

I'm in Chicago. There was a heavy snow 2 days ago. When I tried to clean the snow and ice on top of my car, some ice fragments slipped from the top all the way down to the car hood. The next day, I had my car washed in a big store and added polish wax (extra $2) for the wash.

After that I found that there're still some very small scratches left on the hood. They can only be seen if I look at the hood from the side under the sunlight. I looked at them carefully and I think the paint is

ok but the scratches are somewhat on top of the paint layer, maybe the so-called coating layer? So I guess that is due to the ice fragments? That's why I consider getting some paint protection. I maybe wrong though since this is my first new car and I don't have much experience at exterior maintance except for regular car wash at local store. Feel free to correct me and offer your advice! Maybe I do not need the paint protection?

My dealer is trying to sell me the corrosion and paint protection together at a discount price of $500. I searched the web a lot and read

different discussion of dealer rip-off. It looks like nobody would recommend getting them from dealers due to their overprice.

So I'd like to get an idea of how much the corrosion and paint protection together will cost if you guys do it at a 3rd party store? I

know if I can do it totally by myself, it'll be even cheaper but just want to know how much I will pay if I have someone or some store do it for me.

Thanks!

Reply to
Ryan

Sounds like a minor scratching in the clear coat. I would probably just wipe it down with some wax and grease remover. Then use some Maguires Mirror glaze to seal the scratches. Then give the vehicle a coat of good wax. It will get more scratches and rock chips and water spots and acid burns from bird crap anyway.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks!

Steve W. wrote: