Spongy Brakes - Air - Bleeding - How to tell?

A system that has mis-adjusted brake shoes is one that is not "operating properly" therefore it was specifically excluded from what was being described. Please try to pay attention.

I don't have a master cylinder that needs to be looked at or a brake system that is not working properly.

++++++++++++++ Please try to pay attention ++++++++++++++++

I was describing a brake system that is in perfect working condition. A system that is working properly will not pump up. If you have brakes that firm up when pumped you are the one with the brake system that is not operating correctly. I can pump my brakes all day and the pedal stays the same height.

-jim

Reply to
jim

I agree, not sure if this has not already been mentioned, but you could check for a bypassing master cylinder. Pump the pedal a few times to build up pressure, and hold your foot down, if it slowly creeps lower or to the floor, you could have a defective bypassing master cylinder, where it leaks internally, with no loss of brake fluid. If so you will have to change the master cylinder.

Also make sure that not only each wheel is fully bled, but also your master cylinder has no air. Master cylinders should be bench bled when installed, but you could also bleed on the vehicle, by pressurizing the brake system, and cracking open each brake line at the master cylinder, one at a time. Place a rag underneath the reservoir, and wash away any spilled fluid after your finished. Bleeding a master cylinder on a vehicle is one area that a brake pressure bleeder can really shine, as you can do it by yourself, and it can push out any stubborn air bubbles, which can be trapped and difficult to remove. A pressure brake bleeder uses an adapter to seal the master cylinder, and air to pressurize the brake system and push on the brake fluid, after which you just crack open brake lines, or bleeder screws. I usually get a great pedal when I use mine, plus clean brake fluid throughout, which is a good thing, moreso now a days, with hydraulic brake parts costing so much more than they used to.

Reply to
wheelin4x4