squeeling sound, maybe slipping alternator belt

I have a 1997 Geo metro, 4 cyl. auto. I have been hearing squeeling sounds from around my alternator and water pump ( I have only one belt, and it only goes around my crankshaft, alternator, and water pump! ) It only happens when it,s cold, ( I live where it gets pretty cold in winter ) or when it's cold and I"m accelerating. This leads me to believe it,s not the water pump, which would be squeeling all the time. I,ve checked the belt tension and it seems to be good. Thank you for any advice.

Reply to
wiley1

Rubber shrinks when it gets hot so that would explain why the noise stops when the engine warms up. Maybe you don't have the tension right or the belt may be glazed and a new belt would fix it. Old belts squeel a lot more even with tension. I prefer the minimum tension on my accessories.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Thank you Al! I think your right. I didn't know that rubber shrinks when it gets hot, almost every other solid expands. That's good to know, thanks again!

Reply to
wiley1

Reply to
Mike Walsh