Starter problems

On my 454, I am able to jump the starter with a screwdriver. What does this mean? I have replaced the solenoid and the starter switch, because I assumed that by being able to jump it, the starter itself must still be good. Any ideas on the right way to get to the bottom of this problem?

Thanks, DK

Reply to
Dr. Kato

This means that the starter solenoid wire feed via battery > ignition switch >

alarm system relay > nuetral saftey switch has incurred resistance and unable to handle the flow of currents. Do a voltage drop test, or replace/repair the component(s) in question. Indi

Reply to
Indian Summer ©

Thanks. So I think I understand what you are saying. If I do, then I am right in assuming that the starter is OK, correct? This system is actually on a boat, and has a very simple ignition system. There is an ignition swith (on/off toggle switch) and a starter switch (momentary on/off toggle). I first put the ignition switch in the on position and then put the starter switch in the momentary on position to start. There is no other circuitry in between. My plan of attack will then be to:

  1. Make sure I have voltage at the starter switch from the ignition switch.
  2. Jump the starter switch to see if that is the bad component. If so, replace the switch (again).
  3. If not, go down to the starter and see if I have voltage while the switch is jumped. If so, replace the solenoid (again).
  4. If not, look for an open circuit between the starter switch and the solenoid.

Does this sound like I have the grasp of the situation, and a good plan of attack? Again, thank you very much for your input!

DK

Reply to
Dr. Kato

Indian Summer © wrote

Yes. If you meant both the starter and the solenoid.

Okay, I jumped the gun, I didn't aked you what a 454 is. The trick of measuring voltage in your manner is false in a sence that it only measures voltage not current draw. But it's a good start. Use a long stretch of wire (in series with fuse and battery (+) post) and then jump or attach the other end to the:

  1. Stater solenoid
  2. Momentary ignition SW
  3. And etc... and then up the line

Although some steps/procedures are skipped, your diagnostic tool is just a piece of wire, assuming you know all the basics. When your're stuck out at sea, hungry and no tools, you'll think back to this post.

Composing a sentence and being able to pick out details is tough for me since I'd been labled an ESL (English as a Sec Language). But isn't a billion others? Anyhow, glad you help me out by noticing.

Reply to
Indian Summer©