Tire Wear Question ?

Hello,

Have a 2009 Buick LaCrosse.

Using Michelin all-season tires; do not change them out over the summer. About 40-50 K on them now.

I noticed the front two tires have "considerably" more wear on them than the rear.

Is this normal ?

Make sense to interchange the front and rear tires ? I imagine that with front wheel drive, the front tires are the ones that should have the "better" thread on them. True ?

If I do, keep the ones on the left, e.g., to remain on the left, or do a X crossover ? Why ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Yes. Same with brakes.

Last times I've bought tires (in pairs, not fours) the stores insist the new ones be put on the back to prevent skidding. Previous theory was exactly the opposite for the same reason. I favor good-ones-on-the-front because a front-wheel skid is far more serious than a rear-wheel skid, but apparently I'm wrong -- I should have the better tires on the rear to prevent a more-common (maybe) rear-wheel skid due to the additional traction provided to the front by weight-transfer on deceleration.

I let them do what they want, but I don't feel good about it :-(

I also wonder if the rear-wheel-drive rule of "brake going into a turn and accelerate out of it" is still valid for front-wheel drive cars.

Expert opinions on both are welcome.

Reply to
The Real Bev

If you have never had the tires rotated on a regular schedule, then, yes, the fronts will wear faster than the rears, mainly from turning. Evening out the wear is the whole point of rotation.

Read this TireRack article for details, and follow your owner's manual instructions.

Retired

Yes. Front tires turn left and right and oppose vehicle direction, creating wear. Fronts have more weight.

I do mine every 6 months. F to R, same side.

Back ones need the better tread. It's fun to have the back slide around and meet the front when wanted. It's the unwanted times that are not as much fun.

I keep mine on the same side. However, according to mfg's it's ok to X over. With road surfaces approaching 200F I figure the less tire stress the better.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Yes. The fronts are doing double duty, drive and steer. The nearside front usually weras more than the offside front, just to make things interesting.

False. Best tread to the rear. Helps control oversteer. Helps prevent aquaplaning. The extra weight at the front helps displace water from the front tyres, the rears need all the help they can get.

Depends on spare inclusion. Also depends on whether tyres are symmetrical or asymmetrical.

Reply to
Xeno