Storing your car.

Hi, I am going into the military in a few day..which calls for me to store my car for only 2 months. Any recommendations, and step to take so when i come back it will be as i left it? Thanks!

Reply to
John P.

Disconnect battery to avoid some part sucks it to dead. Leave it with a full tank of gas. If the last oil chance is longer time ago make oil chance before you sat it down.

Regards,

Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Ballis

Full tank of gas is an invitation for disaster. Stupid. Anythign might happen and gee oyu got a full tank to explode

Reply to
Marco Licetti

A full gas of tank is less danger then a half or a quarter because of less degas of gasoline! And by the way it's preventing corrosion of this tank.

Of course you have all ways keep fire away from a car or a garage.

Regards,

Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Ballis

Just the opposite. Either you are very young or a troll, or both.

Reply to
« Paul »

Two months is not long for vehicle storage. Don't worry about it. As others have said, disconnect the battery negative. Write down the radio code first though.

Reply to
« Paul »

I once left a car for two months and I would have welcomed a rusty gas tank and dead battery to what happened to the car. High humidity rotted most of the flooring out as well as the rocker panels. When I went to dust it off I found mostly paint along the bottom and very rust metal underneath. So, store it in a warm dry place. If you can find someone you trust, have them start it up once a week and move it back and forth. Modern gasoline is not pure gasoline anymore and a lot of it will turn to syrup and separate into solids. This can plug up the fuel system, nasty. Your gas tank shouldn't rust as modern cars have a closed fuel system with an air line runing back to the tank from the engine area. Make sure the gas cap is on tight. . . . anyway, my 'two cents.'

Reply to
Heyjohn

Two months isn't too long. There's no reason to pack everything in Cosmoline. Just put some fuel stabilizer in the tank, drive it around a little bit, then disconnect the battery, put a car cover over top or put it in the garage, and go on.

Some folks might recommend pulling the plugs and squirting a little WD-40 in each cylinder to keep condensation from causing rust problems. I think that's probably overkill for a couple months. On the other hand, given the current situation, you could wind up on extended deployment for a while...

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Gasoline does not explode. Gasoline vapor explodes. A tank full of gas is a tank with no vapor in it.

Also, of course, an empty tank will wind up with condensation building up if the weather turns cold, and then you have water in your gas. Keep the tank full.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

two months? Disconnect the battery so it's not sucked dead by the radio & computer, fill it with gas and air up the tires so they don't go flat.

Maybe throw some fuel stabilizer in there, but two months isn't that long.

Ray

Reply to
ray

As others have said. 8 weeks is nothing. Disconnect the battery is about it and I doubt that is requird. I have a boat with Chevy 350 and winter storage prep is fill tank and pull battery. Never had an issue. The boat is a 1992 so if I've shortened it's life, not sure how much. I do usually put fuel stablizer in but haven't always. I have heard the new fuel blends are "no good after 2 weeks" which doesn't pass the common sense test for me. A modern car getting 30+ MPG driven to the grocery store once a week will last several weeks between fillups.

Reply to
bob

I would also NOT ENGAGE the parking brake. Just leave it in PARK on a level surface.

Reply to
Dave

Two months is no big deal. If possible treat the car to an oil change beforehand. Try to store the car in a cool or shaded location and disconnect the battery. Since you are in the military and your stay could conceivably be extended or shifted to another location you might think about a backup plan for prepping the car for more permanent storage should the need arise.

Reply to
John S.