'96 Caprice w/ignition key chip:CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO DIACONNECT

HELLO'

inherited 1996 Caprice Classic when my dad passed on. He was a real stickler on having all the options he even remotely might want. My problem is I am always loosing keys, and the least expensive around here is about $25.00 at a piece.

I need to know how to disable this system. Can anyone assist me by writing back w/ unstructions?

Thank You For any help!

Raymond Miller Amherst NY Police Dept.(Ret.)

e-mail = snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com

Reply to
Raymond A. Miller

Ray..... Talk with the guys in the Police Garage. The 96 "9C1" was used as a police car for many years. A lot of the DEPT's used them as a patrol car and many were keyed alike. I suspect they can tell you how to make the system passive.It involves snipping a wire and installing a resistor in the keys place. You need to measure one of the original keys for the value for *YOUR* car.

Reply to
Rastis P. Buttsnort

Exactly!

And don't buy the price some will charge you for making a spare, you can interrogate the chip with a volt/ohm meter, write down the value, then buy blanks with the chip of the same value (very cheap)

Then just have them cut as with any other, for the same price as a regular key cut. It's the added service of interrogating your key in order to get the correct blank that costs so much...do that yourself, and then you took the big money out of it...

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

As stated above, the chip is actually only a resistor, a standard resistor of the correct value can be soldered into the security wire to the ingniton to bypass the VATS system, but I don't advise it, then any clown with a screwdriver can crack the column and have your car running in 20 seconds...but you were a cop, you should know that...:)

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

Any clown with a screwdriver who wants to take a '96 Caprice deserves it.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

They don't care what the car is, if it's just for a drive-by or a robbery...long as it's quick and easy to steal...

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

Sorry, but you'd be wrong. It's a resistor, and the value of the resistance has to match the car's security expectations...a simple resistor of the correct value will take it's place inline and allow the car to start...

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

It's a resistor.

Nope.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

no sweat, thanks for being gracious about it...and correcting it.:wink:

Reply to
jeffcoslacker

I'd appreciate some help if you'd be able to. I have a 94 camaro. The chip thing fell out of the ignition key and is lost. What would be the cheapest way to replace it. I was told by a dealership that they could only narrow it down to 8 different possibilities of keys...or they would have to reset something...I remember once upon a time...I had a key to a 93 camaro made from a dealership...I think using the VIN..am I crazy or is this a possiblitiy? I read and reread the previous posts, but I'm just looking for the cheapest way to go about it.

Reply to
nessaaz

You can have a key made that will fit the lock by VIN# (assuming it's the original lock cylinder), but still won't tell you which chip it used, far as I know...only way I can think to do it semi-cheap would be to pull the lock cylinder, remove the resistor contacts and since the cylinder is out, you can operate the ignition switch directly, I.E. try to start the car...so by trying a BLANK of each of the possible resistor keys, when you probe the correct one and try it , the motor will start...then make a copy from your original key to the blank with the correct chip....

This assumes that you'd have access to all the possible blanks...which could be a problem...unless you know a very patient locksmith or something....

Reply to
jeffcoslacker