Strange tool question/idea

Had someone come in today and ask me a question about flat tires on

4X4s. He had been out wheeling and managed to tear off the valve stem. OOPS.

His question was does anyone make a device that could be put into the VS hole to allow you to reinflate and get to a shop without breaking the bead? I looked through a few catalogs here but many cater to hard parts and body items. None really have much emergency type items. I imagine someone makes one but since my routine is to break the bead, pop in the new stem and inflate I've never really looked.

Any Ideas?

Reply to
Steve W.

I don't believe such a thing exists. I have never heard of it anyway.

Mike

Mike Romain

This is a neat idea, and I can think of several ways it could be done.

Or, you could sell him truck valvestems that bolt in.

-Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

I recall, back when I did tire work, that we had a thin funnel thing which was shoved into the hole. The tire valve was screwed into a handle and with some rubber lube you could press the valve stem down the funnel and it would expand back and seal as though it were installed from inside the rim. Sort of like those mushroom plugs that are used for plugging tires.

Dunno who made them or if they are still around (Coates maybe??).

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

"B. Peg" wrote

Quick Google search gave:

which led to:
3 pics. Doesn't say who made it, though.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

B. Peg is right, KD tools used to make a kit with the "funnel" and other tools to do this. My dad has one that he bought about 20 years ago. It works great if you can find one. Maybe E-bay?

Reply to
dewaynep