Gas Saver Question.

Here goes, has anyone actually tried a Ramjet Gas Saver? They claim upto

35% in savings, hard to believe. But with the price of gas these days ($1.16 a ltr) I was thinking of looking into these things. I'm not writing this to be flamed in any way but rather to get constructive inputs.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Marc

If they worked, the manufacturer (Ford in this case) would already be installing them on their vehicles. The have a hard enough time meeting the EPA standards as it is. Even if Ramjet wouldn't sell the design to them, they'd purchase one, adapt it and patent it themselves.

Don't you think Ford would like to be able to state their V10 gets upwards of 20mpg in a F350? Or 25mpg with the 5.4?

Reply to
Advocate

Reply to
miles

We've been thru this

see

JohanB

From the conclusion in the PM article sited above (by JohanB) "There's no ignoring the laws of physics, people. Your vehicle already burns over 99 percent of the fuel you pay for. Less than 1 percent is squandered as partially burned hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide before the exhaust hits the catalytic converter for the last laundering. Even if one of these miracle gadgets could make the combustion process 100 percent complete, the improvement in mileage resulting would be 1 percent. Any device that claims quantum-level increases needs to be examined with considerable skepticism."

Reply to
Agave

I've always liked Dire Straits, but that won't get me to buy this thing. Just think, if you put this, the Splitfire plugs, the magnets on the fuel line, and all the other fuel-saving devices and additives, you could be a gasoline manufacturer, if you had somewhere to store all the gas coming out your filler tube.

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom" <sc

Yes everyone is looking for that magic silver bullet. The cold hard fact are that there is about 50 HP in a gallong of gas in stored heat energy (and heat energy drives the motor) and in a best case senerio, you might get 30% of that at flywheel so you have to burn 2 gallons a hour to make about 30 HP a hour and 4 gallons a hour to make 60HP and this power has to overcome accessory needs, drive train losses, tire losses and aerodynamic drag and no magic add on is going to change that. To improve MPG a lot you need to reduce power needed to roll down the road, use a fuel with a higher energy content or run a much higher compression ratio (with proper fuel) that will increase overall engine efficeny and allow to extract more work for a gallon of fuel.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

You deserve every flame that comes your way on this. The question has come up numerous times and the answer is always the same. A tiny bit of research on your part would reveal how stupid your question really is. If someone here could ever find such a product, we would not hide it from the public. We would scream from the bell towers. You are exactly the type of person that these scammers depend on for profit. Next month they change the color or wording on the magic device and you will be back asking the same question. Some people can be told the fire on the stove is hot and understand while others need to touch it for themselves time after time.

Reply to
Al Bundy

so your saying what? drive a diesel? *grin*

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

You are right but I wouldn't be too hard on him. With the price of fuel rising, we all wish there were something that we could easily do to stretch out a tank.

On the same topic, we've also gone through the debate of whether leaving your tailgate open will improve airflow and milage. It makes it worse by a little bit. There is a really great study on this with tailgate, tonneaus and canopies being tested but I can't rememeber where it is now.

Also on topic are Teflon coatings etc such as Slick 50. There is a good page on these here:

The only ways I know to save gas are:

- don't drive

- drive like a grandpa and go easy on the gas

- plan trips when traffic is thinner

- keep the truck tuned up and in order

- don't use knobbier tires than you need and keep them at proper inflation. But I LIKE knobby tires...

- ignore that moron in the Dodge beside you that wants to prove his truck is faster than yours. It's just going to cost you in gas.

- if it is an option, pick the right gear ratio for the type of driving you do.

That sort of thing. I do most of these and I still get pretty crappy milage.

Stephen N.

Reply to
Stephen N.

Yabut isn't 1% included in that range "UPTO" 35%? <VBG>

Reply to
Robin Brumfield

It was done by the Mythbusters.

Episode 43: ...Returning to shore, Adam and Jamie hit the road in a fuel efficiency special. They seek to answer the age-old question: Does driving with your pickup's tailgate down save gas and, hence, money? premiere: Nov. 16, 2005

Summary here:

Steve Ackman

No, I am saying for starter srap using 87 octane in modern high compression gas engine to reduce or eliminate ECM retarding of spark to control knock which hurts efficency, power and MPG. They have gotten so good with kbock sensors being able to here the knock before you do that you do not realize what is being lost. Also if the industry would scrap 87 completely or and go to 89 and 93 or 93 only they could build gas engines with higher CR ratios and improved thermodynamic efficency. 87 was designed for low compresion engine and millions of gallon of gas are wasted everyday as people hang on to this legacy fuel in there modern engines think they are saving money when they are really not most of the time. .

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

I'm not sure what this means. Are you advocating the use of higher octane in cars designed for 87? Do you mean manufacturers stop porducing engines that run on 87 in favour of higher CR engines? Is there a substantial difference in efficiency in vehicles that run 93?

I think it has been shown that simply using higher octane fuel in a vehicle designed for 87 has no advantages. I must be misinterpreting you on that.

Stephen N.

Reply to
Stephen N.

Am I going to see better than a 8% gas mileage increase going to 91 octane over 87 octane? I don't think I would, and 91 octane costs me

8% more per gallon here then 87 octane. If it doesn't save me any money, and the knock sensor prevents any engine damage, I don't see the advantage.

-Darren

SnoMan wrote:

Reply to
kirbyator

I guess some are kinda slow here. They are not designed to do there best on 87. The ONLY reason they have a knock sensor on them is to limit consumer complaints and keep the illusion alive that 87 is a great fuel for them. Also think what would happen to sales if they printed manuals to state 89 or higher riquired??? Also like I have said before, Detriot uses 93 octane in all EPA mileage tests and emisson certifications, not 87 and if it did not make any difference, they would not use it. There is a persistant and false believe that the octane needs of a engine is constant when it is not and the warmer it get and the harder it works, the more octane it needs. Everytime you retard spark to control knock before you hear it, you lose power and MPG. You really do not know what you are missing untill you try it. 89 will work fine on cooler days with no power loss and 87 might work out in winter but on a hot summer day if you are not running 89 or better you are lossing power and MPG and especailly if you are heavyly loaded or towing too.

SnoMan

My Hemi Durango's manual states to use 89.

It has been shown time and again with the vast majority of vehicles mpg's will not go up by using higher octane. There are a few exceptions. My Durango is one of them.

Reply to
miles