Stuff about a 1996 Bronco

1) Dash panel - this is simply cosmetic, if it gets to be stupid to worry about I won't worry about it. The passenger side of the dash, the part above the black plastic strip that says XLT on it (I've also heard it called the crash pad?!?!?) is starting to crack. Is that part of the entire dash assembly, or could i replace that one piece of the dash? If so, how is it screwed in or attached and how would i unattach it? If this is not a good way of going about this situation, does anyone know of a better one?

2) Fuel Gauge - the fuel gauge has been gone for a while. We had assumed that it was the sender that was gone, which would require dropping the tank and risking damaging parts and would be costly, so we've been living without it. I've heard that that's common in Broncos, but when it's been mentioned, people said that the gauge would freak out. This one didn't freak it, it just all of a sudden dropped to empty and hasn't moved since. Might this be a wiring problem?

3) Heat - the heat works fine, but for some reason it only works on high (I'm pretty sure it's like this for the defrost, etc., also). if you switch the knob to medium or low, it just shuts off. Any ideas as to where that problem might be coming from?

4) Spare tire rack - the spare tire rack on the back of the Bronco is rusting pretty badly. I was wondering about sanding it down and repainting it. What would be the best method for doing this (what type of paint, primer, etc.), or would it be best to just leave it be?

Thanks for reading and responses to any of these inquiries would be great.

Reply to
Chuck

I just went through some of this stuff on my 93 F-150, which is pretty much the same vehicle. Shares the same body style and many of the mechanicals/chassis components.

Here goes a couple of items I have direct knowledge of:

The gas gauge: There is a good chance you will have to drop the tank to repair it. The gauge on the front tank fell victim to a crack in the float attached to the sending unit arm. I don't know if this float is available as a seperate item, but the sending unit is part of the in-tank high pre$$ure fuel pump assembly, which can cost several hundred dollars to buy. I have heard that floats from older Chevrolet vehicles will work, or there may be an aftermarket source. If the tank starts leaking, you may want to look into this. I was able to rig a float from a different type of tank.

Defrost/Heat: Probably a bad winding in the blower motor, or a bad switch.

Spare Tire Carrier: The one underneath the bed of my truck has been a mess for years, and Ford probably built yours out of the same cheap steel. Best thing to do is to sand it down to bare metal, and paint it with Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer, and follow it up with a coat of black Rustoleum.

I can't really answer your question about the crash pad, but here are a few general things to look out for in the coming years, particularly if you live in a damp or snowy climate:

Brake Lines: I have had to replace all of the metal brake lines on the truck, and having them blow out can ruin your day, and perhaps someone else's. They can rust out, and give you little or no warning that you are about to lose your brakes. Inspect them carefully at least once a year, and do not put off repairs if you see them starting to rust.

Gas Tank: See above topics about rust. Had to replace both tanks. Luckily, there are a number of aftermarket sources for tanks, no need to pay Ford $400 for a new one.

Frame, suspension, etc: Check for rust on spring brackets, shock towers, and crossmembers. Ford applied a black plastic coating that tends to start to peel just enough to trap moisture underneath it. While working on the tank and brakes, I noticed that there was some pretty bad rust in the above areas. Try to catch it early, peel away all of the coating and rust that is loose, and either use Rusty Metal Primer, or a commercial rustproofing spray. If nothing else, soak the affected areas in motor oil, before they rust away.

The outer body and mechanicals are still in decent shape on my 93, but I am having a hell of a time with all of these underchassis components rusting and corroding away. I have owned the truck since it was new, and would like to keep it at least a few more years as a second vehicle but at the rate it is rusting away underneath, I don't know how much longer it will be safe to drive. I recently took many of the steps above to save what is left, I hope it isn't a matter of too little too late.

Reply to
Bruce Nolte N3LSY