Subaru dropping out of gear

Our '98 Legacy Outback Wagon (110,000 miles) has started to occasionally drop out of gear and into neutral. I'll just be driving along and Whoops! - it's in neutral. I usually have to shift it back to neutral and into gear again a couple of time to get it to engage. Has anyone else had this experience? Any advice?

Reply to
Hurricane

Standard or Automagic?

Reply to
phaeton

Sorry phaeton - automatic.

phaet> > Our '98 Legacy Outback Wagon (110,000 miles) has started to

Reply to
Hurricane

Do you have a radio transmitter like a CB on board? I know the antenna output and power lines from these can make the shift computers go insane on some vehicles if they are too close to it.

Mike

Mike Romain

Assuming the fluid level is fine- what does it look like? Any foam, weird coloration, water, dead animals?

When it 'pops out of gear' is there anything consistent about the throttle position? I.e., during acceleration only, cruise only, or engine braking?

When it 'pops out of gear', does it ever go back in if you come to a complete stop and just sit there with the engine idling? How about if you rev the engine a tad?

When it goes back in, does it shudder or is it an otherwise 'normal' engagement?

:-)

-phaeton

Reply to
phaeton

Reply to
Hurricane

I haven't checked the fluid, but I will as soon as I get home. We recently had the "differential seal" replaced ($500) and I believe it involved pulling the transmission. Normally I would have assumed it was related, but this problem occurred a few times about a year ago as well.

It only drops out of gear when going through first or second, usually after a stop or when entering a highway (yeek!). And it only goes back in gear after moving the shifter to neutral and back to "Drive" a few times. When it does get back in gear, seems to engage normally (no ginding). I don't believe it has ever gone back into gear when just idling.

phaet> > Sorry phaeton - automatic.

Reply to
Hurricane