Subaru Outback AWD And X-Mode Questions, Please

Hello,

Thinking of a 2013, or possibly waiting for the 2014's, Subaru Outback.

Very confused over their "X-Mode" and AWD feature.

Might someone please explain the following for me ? [(a) is my main question]

a. Do these Outbacks's have what I guess you could call a "full time" AWD, or is it that it behaves as a normal front wheel drive car, irrespective of road conditions, until, and if, the X-Mode is selected ?

b. what, then is X-Mode ?

c. What is their term "symmetrical" when they talk about their AWD system ?

Much thanks, really appreciate the help, Bob

Reply to
Bob

I rented one in 2012. It was an absolutely great vehicle. One of the few that I really liked. Wish I had one. Comfortable, great stereo, handled 30 degree dirt slopes with ease, muds good, goes real fast on the highway with power to spare.

Have you tried looking on the web for answers?

Paul in Houston TX

Full time AWD.

X mode uses the ABS and engine controls to maintain speeds during downhill driving. (basically just like older engine braking)

Symmetrical: In Subaru parlance means that each wheel gets equal torque.

Reply to
Steve W.