Swapping a diesel motor into a gasoline car in California. Is it legal?

Hello all.
I have a 1984 Mercedes Benz 190D. The motor is just about indestructable an d gets very high MPG. However, the car's body, interior and transmission ar
e now shot beyond the investment of the cost of repair. Yesterday I found a 1991 Mercedes Benz 190E with a very good condition body and a very good in terior, but the gasoline motor is non running and too costly to repair. I h ave offered it's owner to buy his non running 190E as is. My intent is to t ake the 2.2 diesel motor from my 190D and swap it into this 1991 190E. I li ve in California where emmissions laws are strict. I don't want to commit a felony and swap the VIN numbers. Is there a legal process to doing this in California? I would then sell the old 190D car (minus engine) with the 190 E engine thrown in to Pick A Part. Any serious replies will be greatly appr eciated.

his 1991 190E. I live in California
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresources/07_autorepair/engine_change_guideline s.html -----
- gpsman
David O Rodriguez wrote:

Not legal. Engine must be same year or newer than vehicle it is going into. Also has to be ab engine that was available in the new vehicle.
--
Steve W.

On 01/09/2013 02:59 PM, Steve W. wrote:

what he said.