Re: it's been said before, deserves repetition

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 11:14:41 -0500, "Existential Angst" wrote:

>There is no doubt in my mind of the synergy between video violence, network >news violence, and Rx drug epidemic. >Columbine begat more Columbines, and Sandy Hook will beget more sandy hooks, >all fueled by some sombination of drugs/bankrupt cultural precedence. >Basically, just get used to it. All this gun control shit is just a >kneejerk topical anaesthetic for the underlying cancer. Castration is the >cure for rape, right? >

They play the same video games around the world. I know that because I'm a gamer. Some few countries censor out some gore content. But the killing in the games is all the same. I don't know about the drug aspect, except in the case of a brother where taking lithium has kept him from killing himself or somebody else, depending on mood. Might be more shootings with less drugs. Who can say? Don't know how widespread drugging kids is in other countries. All I know is where there's less guns, there's less shootings. It's as obvious as the nose on your face. Not going to get into bullshit about knifings, bombings, etc. And I don't care a bit about gun laws, one way or the other. As long as I can buy a shotgun, hunting rifle, or revolver after proving I'm not crazy or criminal, and have some minimum training. The big problem here, especially with mass shootings, is the easy availability of "larger" caliber semi-autos with large capacity magazines. But gun nuts and all the gun industry money are built into the scenery in the U.S. Used to be a shotgun, .38 police special, or if you want badass a .357 magnum were the home defense or carry weapons of choice. Wasn't until about the '80's when the semi-autos became common for "home defense." Real good mass killer weapons. Firepower. For the Lanza women - a gun nut - she needed a Bushmaster too. But most of the mass killing is done with semi-auto pistols. The Giffords woman was a gun nut, bragging about how good she was with a Glock. A Glock killed the people around her, and put a bullet in her head. She still doesn't understand that if she can have a Glock, everybody can have a Glock. Thinks she's "special." That's just how it works. So as you said, "just get used to it." Part of the "culture."

Reply to
Vic Smith

Vic Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

and the relavence is what? less rocks is less stoneings, less cars is less vehicle deaths, less knives or any pointy stuff less stabbings. Its all ilrelivent. It is a culture problem nothing else! all it does is shift the violence into a different source.

again NO, its not the problem of the effect, its the cause that is at issue. Israel is way heaver armed in its citizenry and they have non of our problems.

No its not.

You don`t have to put up with it, you should find the cause of the extra violence. When you try to put blame on a hunk of steel, you are part of the problem not the solution. The big push is from Goverment grabbing of more power and not wanting any way to resist the unconstitutional power grabs. Its all about control of the people not safety of the people if you actually think about it. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Social Castration. Buy your Decorator Display Jar now, suitable for your mantle. See, Honey, there they are!!

Reply to
Existential Angst

Sure it's a culture problem. Gun culture. That's why the middle-aged Lanza woman had a Bushmaster, Glock, and Sig Sauer. Maybe more when the police report comes out. She was a gun nut. All legal too. Her kid used the Bushmaster to off 20 kiddies and 7 adults, including her. Maybe he shot her face off with the Glock or Sig Sauer. He didn't hit any of them over the head with a sock full of pills, or jam video games down their throats. Didn't run them over with a car, or stone them, or knife them. Just took his ma's Bushmaster and used that. It's made for it. The Glock or Sig Sauer would have done too.

NRA bullshit. Find the facts yourself. But if you already drank the Kool-Ade, it's probably too late to recognize them. Here's a start, right from the Israeli officials who control it.

Just call it all lies if you want. I don't care.

All nonsense. And don't think for a minute the gun nuts will ever trump the 1st Amendment with the 2nd. Or that Wayne Lapierre or any other wacko will run the prescription drug policy or dictate what films Hollywood produces, or what games I can play in the U.S. So just get used to gun deaths, mass killings of school children and all. It's your gun culture, not mine. Just not into guns. So I don't worry about it. Still more chance of getting killed in an auto crash than by a gun. I'll let the gun nuts worry about fighting off the U.S. Army, Navy Seals, Marine Corps, Air Force, et al. And how to respond when 26 people, most of them little tykes, gets mowed down by a Bushmaster. Good luck with all that.

Reply to
Vic Smith

> Just call it all lies if you want. I don't care. >

this isn't an nra statistic: chicago is at the top of the gun crime rankings. dallas isn't even in the top 100. one has super strict gun control. one doesn't.

now, match the stats and go ahead and explain the correlation.

Reply to
jim beam

good question. but the drug companies know. and they also know what happens when people take themselves /off/ those drugs.

i had a guy i needed to fire a while back, but he wasn't disciplined on his lithium regimen. some days he'd be fine, others, he'd be on the verge of going postal. had to hang on to him /way/ too long, basically until he took himself away, out of consideration for other staff.

actually, it's not. finland has guns up the wazoo, as does switzerland, and although they've had a couple of shootings recently, the general behavior is amazing discipline. and they don't drug their kids. 90% of the world's ritalin production* is prescribed in the usa. we have 90% of the world's mass shootings. /that's/ as obvious as the nose on your face.

with respect, you're allowing yourself to be brainwashed. people that want illegal guns already have them. even in countries with strict control. large cap mags, same thing.

put another way, 99.99% of gun owners with large cap mags have never undertaken a mass shooting.

guns are part of the very fabric of america. mis-prescribed drugs are not.

  • /why/ do we so easily accept such disproportionate prescription of drugs like ritalin? is it not bizarre that countries with advanced medicine [better medicine if you measure by live birth survival rates and life expectancy, both of which have the usa bottom ranked among advanced nations] don't prescribe that stuff?
Reply to
jim beam