TBI on 1969 Ford 302

I recently purchased a TBI setup on ebay. Its a bunch of parts from a mid-80's GM vehicle with an adapter plate to fit the throttle body onto the intake-- basically the same kit sold by Howell. The kit came with an electronic distributor.

I removed the stock points-type distributor from the 1969 engine and compared it with the new electronic one. The old one is Motorcraft, the new one is Autolite. Both have the same part number, but the new one has a larger gear on the end, so it wont fit.

Here's the problem-- The systems wants to "see" the new distributor in order to run. I've tried wiring the points to the electronic distributor's connection, but that didn't work. I'm thinking that I should just swap the gears to put the smaller distributor gear from the old dist. onto the new one. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply to
scottmplamondon

the gear on the dist. is different because the gear on the cam is different...that said, if the gear fits i would think it should work...one revolution is one revolution regardless of the gear ratio you use to echieve it

Reply to
taz