TECH: chevy cube van G30 headlights dont work

when i turn the lights on , only the taillights and lights on top of the cube work. the headlights do not. i tried new bulbs, still do not work. i measured power out at the lights, no power there. i dont see a fuse in the fuse box that is for headlights. flashers, blinkers and all else do work. what else? thx

Reply to
who_won

its a 1981 by the way. they did work, i went to work, they worked fine. then, after work i get in the cube van, start it, turn on the lights .and...no headlights. went from working to non working in 5 hours.......

Reply to
who_won

The highbeam switch is one suspect.

The fuse link wires on the older ones come off the starter solenoid or the power distribution box. They will be on the same bolt as (one of) the positive battery cable hooks to.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

On an 81, I for sure would check the floor high beam button. The aftermarket ones are 'JUNK' by the way. Mine cook out every couple years 'usually' just before a camping trip like I am getting ready for right now with no freakin' headlights again..., but they seem to actually fall apart rather than burn out. (My CJ7 uses GM lighting)

When the headlight switch goes, it usually flashes first, but it could also have burned out. If you can get your hand to the switch, you might be able to feel the plug melted or even look up under and see it.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

wrote

Usually the headlight switch has a "breaker" built into it that cuts off the power if there's an overload or short, but it usually resets automatically after a few seconds, resulting in the lights blinking on and off repeatedly. I'd get the wiring diagram for your particular van (you didn't say what year), pull and unplug the main light switch, and test for incoming power at the plug. If there's power, I'd try jumping the appropriate terminals in the plug to see if the lights come on. If they do, you need a new switch. If there is power, and jumping doesn't help, I'd check the dimmer switch and the general wiring for breaks or bad connectors/grounds. If there isn't any power at the headlight plug, next up would be the fusible links (on the starter terminal?), and the wiring from there up to the switch.

Reply to
MasterBlaster