The Corvair in Action!

Saturday morning at 4:30 AM (CST) on the TCM channel.

I am always still getting my beauty sleep at that time of the mornings. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

online at

Ashton Crusher

Pretty impressive - I'll take one!

Reply to
dsi1

Maybe Ralph Nader has one stashed away somewhere. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

5:30 here. But I'm usually checking the inside of my eyelids for leaks around that time.
Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Why was that lady putting groceries in her ENGINE?!?!?

I liked this corvair better:

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3173.bay.webtv.net:

One can't help but wonder what Ralf would say about the Porsche 930.

Reply to
chuckcar

The reality is that the Corvair was safe at most speeds. Maybe just a little unsafe at fast turns on surfaces with good traction. :-)

I gotta admit that the large amounts of negative camber in the back is evident in the promo. Too bad, that car could have changed the face of the American compact car, then again, maybe not. In my little town, there's a guy with a Corvair van, what a gass!

Reply to
dsi1

I almost bought one of those back in the 70's, but it needed more work than a 17 YO geek could handle.

Even cooler were the "pickups" with the side drop-down ramp.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I miss my '65 Corvair Monza..

m6onz5a

I made mine into a Corsa. Even more enjoyable!

AMuzi

Boy, GM was really copying VW in a most shameful manner. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

e:

So no one can ever make an air cooled motor besides VW? Plus, GM's was a 6 cyl, had 2 or 4 carbs, or turbos on theirs.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Looks sweet!! Does it have the 4 carbs or turbo??

Mine was a daily driver.. Had the 140hp with 4 carbs & 4 speed..

Reply to
m6onz5a

VW and the Porsches of the time, since the engineering was still closely related. Yeah, it didn't take much to put a Corvair engine in a dune buggy, other than the bit about the engines spinning in opposite directions. Just think how good a 3d-generation Corvair could have been. Instead, we got Vega- a bad copy of a Fiat.

Even after GM gave up on rear-engine minivans, a lot of the bits from the Corvair vans made their way into the Gen-I front-engine vans.

Don't know why everybody keeps saying Chrysler 'invented' the minivan. They did no such thing. VW microbus, and the early US vans, were about the same size. Chrysler was just the first to be Really Successful at marketing them as replacements for the beloved family station wagon.

Reply to
aemeijers

The first Benz car was rear engine.The Knox ''porcupine'' cars had air cooled engines.There have been a lot of different configurations of engines in cars before.Rear engine, front engine, mid engines, engines under the floor.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

LOL! Chrysler said they invented the minivan. There were the Corvairs, the Ford Econoline from the 60's, and for a REAL minivan, what about this:

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

enjoyable!

I had one too. I was able to keep up with an Olds 442 in the stoplight grand prix.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

This was Nadar's personal Corvair, the rare Sport Version.

Ashton Crusher

Yup, the 4 carb setup is probably more practical than that era of Turbo for most drivers.

Red car above has 4 carbs 4 speed I'm sure much like yours.

White car has a Yenko engine with a hot cam. 13" VR tires and big diff gears. The 4 carbs were turned 90 degrees so it doesn't gush fuel in hard corners:

But no matter what you do, ragtops are just heavier cars.

Reply to
AMuzi