Time for another starter motor again? Intermittent click?

Hi,

(1/92) Toyota Celica GT, just turned 100K.

Intermittent click sometimes only at turnover attempt, other times starts fine, or a little slow.

Since original purchases related to this:

7/98 replaced orig. starter with rebuild at Toyota service dept. 4/01 replaced orig. panasonic battery with Exide 840

Could this car need another starter after only 5 1/2 years?

There was some corrosion around the battery. I cleaned it off and removed the caps even though it's a maint. free battery. The levels were only very slightly lower than full.

I know from my last experience I can easily bump start this car forward or reverse, but I'd rather not. Should I wait until whatever it is that's going to fail does? Any thoughts?

Thx. in advance!

Reply to
someone

Its more likely it needs a new battery. Take it somewhere and have the battery load tested.

Reply to
E. Meyer

"someone" wrote

If I read your message correctly, that is about how long the first starter lasted. Clicking sometimes is the symtom that the contacts in the solenoid (on the starter) are eroded. New ones go in easy (once the starter is off) and are supposed to be $5.00 items. JerryO

Reply to
JerryO

Unfortunately some solenoids are crimped closed and not as rebuildable as some folks suggest. While the contacts are easily purchased (for some solenoids or easily fabricated from copper, getting the solenoid apart and then together is easily said, but not done.

If you want to risk money figuring it is JUST the solenoid, then these are purchaseable and can be bolted on to starters (at least they can on my Bosch). However, with time the starter itself needs service so either get a rebuilt one (and take your chances with it) or get one off a wreck (like I did as well).

My rebuilt >

Reply to
Ken Pisichko