Someone help please - 1994 GP intermittent starter solenoid CLICK

If someone could help me with this I would really appreciate it. I have a

94 GP with a 3.1 that intermittently won't start, the solenoid just clicks. I changed the starter/solenoid several years ago and it was fine for about 3 weeks and then started doing it again.

Last week, the frequency of the not starting, but solenoid clicking was increasing so I changed the starter/solenoid again and the car started great for about a week, and just now started doing the intermittent problem again. How can changing the starter and solenoid fix the problem for a week or so and then the problem comes back?

The fact that this has happened twice is too coincidental. It seems that somehow the solenoid is going bad after a week or two, but it makes it difficult that it may start fine for 2 or 3 starts, and then clicks a few times before it will start again.

I've cleaned all the connections, changed the ignition switch a year ago, and never have been able to solve this. I've just live with it.

With winter coming, it sure would be nice to solve the problem once and for all.

PLEASE HELP, anyone!

Reply to
Bill

Dirty battery cables.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

This reminds me of a similar situation with my daughter's '92 Grand Am. Replaced the starter twice within about a week's time because of the machine's recurring failure to start. After the third such incident I got out the schematics and physically tracked down every last wire in the starting circuit. Lo and behold a bare spot on the wire to the solenoid turned up.

Evidently every time I replaced the starter the wiring harness was being disturbed enough when the machine was jacked up that for a short time the bare spot would no longer be in contact with the frame. The car would start just fine afterward and I would pat myself on the back for a job well done, only to be frustrated a few days later after it failed to start once again. The gist of it is that there had never even been a single starter failure from the very first incident. My face is still red.

Your problem may be caused by something totally different, but perhaps you should take a look at what is being disturbed when you replace the starter. Also be sure to have the suspect starter checked to confirm that it really has or has not failed.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

where are you getting the starters from?or buy a super battery!1000 crank amps is good for winter.check your battery to ground connections.big and small.starters require very solid amp carrying connections.one time i drove to an autozone for paint and came out and nothing but clicks!!i literally had to replace my positive battery connector end to get it started!!in the summer!!go figure!!worked fine up until then!!not one misstart!!

Reply to
o2pz5y402

Reply to
phil neely