Tire Mileage ?

Hi,

I realize there are a zillion variables involved, but typically what might one expect these days for decent mileage on a brand name, "high quality" all-weather tire ?

Live in New England, so some snow in the winter.

Perhaps 2/3 of driving is on highway. Subaru Outback.

Always worried about snow and ice, so tend to replace them when thread seems "meaningfully" down.

Any thoughts on would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Depends a LOT on the tire compound and how you drive. A Subaru will tend to wear tires more because of the all wheel drive but even then, if it's in good shape, you keep them inflated properly and drive like most people- Lower end tire with crappy compound = About 30-35K miles. Good tire with better compound = around 50K Top of the line tire with best compound for the car - 60-70K

Tire rated as a "high mileage" tire that will ride like a buck board and skid if the radio says rain = 80-90K

Reply to
Steve W.

I buy sticky tires. They last 35k miles.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Friend puts $500 sticky tires on her S2000; I think she gets less than that. She regards that as her recreation fund :-) I drove it down from Big Bear once. Most fun I've had in a car EVER, even if I missed a LOT of shifts!

Reply to
The Real Bev

Like Steve said.

Inflating a bit higher 37-38 psi helps get a bit more mileage, which is what I do.

Around 40-42k miles on last 4 sets of Michelins- a brand known to wear rather fast. Changed very conservatively with plenty of thread left, they always seem to become loud or start hydroplaning around 35k plus.

Basia

Reply to
Basia

Forgot to add, car is a 2000 Subaru Impreza. Driven mainly on highways, but at high speeds over steep mountain passes. Reno - Sacramento I-80 over Donner's pass, 75 mph. No wonder very good tires like Michelins last only 40k miles on average.

Basia

Reply to
Basia

Normal middle priced tires, I'd expect aboyt 40K. Hopefully more, but I'd start checking them more carefully after 40K.

Reply to
jtees4